keepin it plugged in

T

TylerMoney

I've had my 12" Powerbook G4 since dec.3. I was wondering what the main consensus was on leaving the powerbook plugged in. If I'm not downstairs, or out of my house...I usually have my powerbook plugged into the wall. Even when I leave to put it asleep...I usually leave it plugged in. Is this ok? It's a stupid question, but I'm new to laptops...and lithium ian batteries. Also....another kinda stupid question. I read a thread about leaving macs on. What if I'm kind of anal and feel I should turn my computer off every night when I go to bed...is that good for it...turning it on and off so much? Just general info that isn't necessarily known worldwide. I usually keep my pc on all the time...but rarrely my mac. I like it more. I always thought shutting it down might be nicer for it. But I have heard form a friend that sometimes the more you boot up the harder it is on the hardware. That could be a bunch of pish posh, but I figured all you smart mac users would be albe to enlighten me, and make me feel at ease. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
there is nothing wrong if you shut it down every night. or have it pluged in when your´e home. i em not sure but as far as i know pb suports lid closed operations.

OP
H

hokiethang

TylerMoney said:
I've had my 12" Powerbook G4 since dec.3. I was wondering what the main consensus was on leaving the powerbook plugged in. If I'm not downstairs, or out of my house...I usually have my powerbook plugged into the wall. Even when I leave to put it asleep...I usually leave it plugged in. Is this ok? It's a stupid question, but I'm new to laptops...and lithium ian batteries. Also....another kinda stupid question. I read a thread about leaving macs on. What if I'm kind of anal and feel I should turn my computer off every night when I go to bed...is that good for it...turning it on and off so much? Just general info that isn't necessarily known worldwide. I usually keep my pc on all the time...but rarrely my mac. I like it more. I always thought shutting it down might be nicer for it. But I have heard form a friend that sometimes the more you boot up the harder it is on the hardware. That could be a bunch of pish posh, but I figured all you smart mac users would be albe to enlighten me, and make me feel at ease. Thanks :)

i leave my powerbook plugged in all the time when im not using it elsewhere. My batteries are still fully usable and i have not noticed any decrease in the amount of usage time I get. I never really find a need to shut my powerbook down, if you close the lid it should just go to sleep on its own. waking it up from sleep is a lot easier and faster than waiting for it to start up. Its all personal preference though.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Thanks a lot. One more thing. I was wondering about the average battery time powerbook users (12") are getting. I usually get 3-3.5 if I'm using heavy programs like photoshop, illustrator, and indesign...sometimes maybe a little less. If I'm just searching the net and chating, then I can get up to 4.5 hrs sometimes. I'm just wondering if that's about average for everyone. Thanks again.

OP
H

hokiethang

TylerMoney said:
Thanks a lot. One more thing. I was wondering about the average battery time powerbook users (12") are getting. I usually get 3-3.5 if I'm using heavy programs like photoshop, illustrator, and indesign...sometimes maybe a little less. If I'm just searching the net and chating, then I can get up to 4.5 hrs sometimes. I'm just wondering if that's about average for everyone. Thanks again.

Granted I have a 15 inch titanium powerbook, i get somewhere around 5 hours of use just doing word processing and internet stuff. I usually get around 3 to 3 1/2 hours when i am coding and compiling.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.