msn help (soon to be switcher)

Reaction score
SO i'm getting a 15" 2.13 ghz macbook pro. I'm constantly on msn and i know there is a msn for mac, but was wondering if they have msn for the intel processors? If not how does the mac work with rosetta? i'm on it everytime i'm on the computer while talking to always atleast a few people...how will msn run under osx on my book?
This is a major concern when deciding whether to switch or not

Thanks in advance, :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.

OP
S
Reaction score
hey thanks for the reply it was very helpful :) i had heard about adium from searching the board but to have it recomended specifacly for a heavy msn user as well its warmly welcomed :)
just a few questions i checked out their site and it looks good but just a few questions :)

1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?

Thanks alot again :) this helps my decision!

P.S How do u like ur macbook so far?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
same boat as Benny.

been using it for a week or so now. also have nothing but praise for the program. super easy to use, LOTS of nice options. give it a shot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
The MSN mac version is meh-ish. I use aMSN at home, because of the webcam ability.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I've had my macbook for a few weeks now (my first mac). I am a heavy msn messenger user as well. I used MSN for Mac for about a week and didn't like it. It handled chats ok, but it is missing features of the newer MSN versions for Windows. Also, the file transfers for MSN for mac are brutally slow.

I started using a program called Adium based on some of the positive comments I've read on here. Adium is the best IM client I've used and although I only use it for MSN, it can also handle a variety of other messaging clients (e.g. yahoo, AIM, ICQ). It's highly customizable, intuitive, and file transfers are much quicker.

I'll second Adium, although mine now comes up with a message everytime I launch telling me my friend is on MSN and I need to download MSN (which is not true). But adium is very good and you can have all your clients on one neat programme.

You can set it to long you in to all the clients upon launch. I never have chat programmes set to lauch at boot up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33GHz Intel C2D 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 120GB SATA 2GB SDRAM
1) can i use it with my existing msn account?
2) did it take u long to get used to the interface?

I use Adium on my office mac, I'm a designer, and I've installed it onto my new MBP C2D. I love Adium and have been using it for over a year now.

You can use your existing msn, aim, aol, icq and yahoo accounts. The programs just access your information from your accounts held by msn, aim, aol icq and yahoo servers.

You'll love the program. The only issues I've come across have been file transfers. It's a bit fishy at time and doesn't necessarily work all the time.

The GUI is very user friendly, and I suspect you won't have any issues getting used to it and adapting.

Reaction score
Adium is THE best bet as far as any messenging goes, as it has all major versions bundled into one program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo iMac
i personally like mercury messenger, it is pretty much strictly an MSN client. but it has all, and more features the MSN Live Messenger has, it has the drawings, nudges, winks, everything. you can also set your display picture to be like a slid show just by selecting several pictures in your display picture settings. it also has allot of skins you can use.

heres the link if you want to try it
http://www.mercury.to/

i love this program, i like it better then windows live messenger.

I used that program for a while. The only thing is it's pretty slow, and pretty ugly IMO. It has all the features of Live though, which is about the only advantage over Adium. It is better than aMSN.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i find the aMSN crashes a lot. any ideas?

i have the latest version

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.