Airport Express Problems, Macbook, NEW.

Reaction score
Hi, first post.

As of 2 weeks ago im the proud owner of a macbook. Since having it the windows desktop has been sold and i refuse to use a xp machine at university and rather carry my macbook with me.

I'm connected at home through an ethernet cable to a router in the kitchen.

The main reason I brought the express was for wireless internet and wireless streaming. Just found out its possible to add a HD for wireless connectivity !!:D

I can't seem to get the express working. I plugged it directly into my router through a cat5e cable and it flashed green, and then flashing amber. Nothing showed up on the router.

My network administrator said get a cat cross over cable. I looked around on the internet and lots of places said a cross over cable isn't needed. Although finding this, I went out and brought one...

After swaping the cable for the cross over the router showed a number on the front (connected to port 2) in green for about 10 seconds and then it went off for a second, and returned for a further 3, and then vanished. All this time flashing amber.

I have tried to factory reset but nothing seems to happen, no flashing lights, no anything when I press the reset button. I've tried to search on both mac and windows pcs (arghh) when the airport is initially attached and has 15 seconds of being connected to the router, but still nothing.

The router is a netgear, with a 5 port switch attached.

Im using a macbook 2.0ghz, 1gb ram, wirelessly active and has the ability to connect wirelessly to my girlfriends house.

Brought the AE of ebay a few days ago, 2nd hand but the owner said he brought it new, used a few times, never had any problems and sold, to me.
Any help appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
To point you in the right direction, you might try using the Airport Administration Utility its in the Utilities folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook 17" 1.5GHz, 2GB, 160GB Momentus; iMac 24" 3.06GHz, 2GB; iPhone 2.5G 8GB; iPod 5G 60GB
Or Airport Setup Assistant. The Airport isn't plug-n-play: you need to tell it what you want it to do and how you want it to do it, as Apple haven't invented clairvoyant hardware yet :) . The Airport Setup Assistant makes life easy in a Wizard format, or you can use the Airport Admin Utility to set up the configuration manually.

OP
J
Reaction score
thanks for the quick replies. I've tried both, and after scanning, and rescanning. Nothing is picked up. Surely nothing would be picked up anyhow as the airport doesn't seem to have been recognized by the router? correct me if im wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Do you see a wireless network named Apple Network blah blah blah? If so join that network then try the setup assistant. Even better get an ethernet cord and plug it directly from your pc to the APE.

OP
J
Reaction score
I dont see any wireless networks like that. I also tried plugging in my AE directly to my macbook via ethernet cat5e cable and cross over cable.... still nothing. keep the help coming..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Ok what you need to do is a reset, grab a pen or paperclip. press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds, the status light will blink yellow very quickly not amber. This has the effect of returning the APE to factory settings. You can then follow the steps in my previous posts

OP
J
Reaction score
i think im becoming a pain now...

the reset doesnt seem to do anything.

i press the button, and nothing.

is this unit faulty?

i need to go and buy a cable from a care centre sometime this week.

to connect an external monitor to the macbook am i right in thinking its a mini-dvi to VGA?

cheers for the new guy help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
If the reset doesnt have any affect then you may have a faulty unit. If you are worried about becoming a pain then you could consider using www.apple.com/support, there is a wealth of knowledge there. Including full specs of your Mac and tutorials. To answer your other question about the monitor, yes.

OP
J
Reaction score
i think im becoming a pain now...

the reset doesnt seem to do anything.

i press the button, and nothing.

is this unit faulty?

i need to go and buy a cable from a care centre sometime this week.

to connect an external monitor to the macbook am i right in thinking its a mini-dvi to VGA?

cheers for the new guy help :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo
Airport Express Sucks that what I heard it will died in 18 month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
Well mine is still kicking after about a year. Matter of fact i just bought a second one. no issues yet works as expected no problems. I take mine with me to work everyday. If it can handle the NYC subway its fine by me. Your grammar sucks. What sucks more is that your post is irrelevant.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The Airport Express does not stink neither do they all die in 18 months.

OP
J
Reaction score
I've read many websites on the AX dying but, i've read far more websites rating the product.

Even if I do have a faulty unit, I'll be buying a new one. The features are awesome and just what im after. if only it would work for me :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
As a side note to seeing Airport Express's dying on sites, I can show you 100's if not 1000's of reports of Linksys, Dlink, Netgear ETC dying. I read it all the time. In usage here at my place I have at least 10 different Linksys and many friends of mine have purchased them and none of us have ever had one fail but you can find the reports of people all over the net.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.