read-only /tmp folder (after Security Update 2006-007?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Hi,

I just rebooted my Macbook Pro (Intel) into OS X, and when doing a cvs update, it refused with a message:
Code:
erwin-coumans-computer:~/develop/blendercvs/blender erwincoumans$ cvs update
Password: 
can't create temporary directory /tmp/cvs-serv24913
Read-only file system

Two things I did yesterday was
1) Applying Secury Update 2006-007
2) switching off the indexer, because mds took too much cpu resources
339 sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
340 sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/Untitled/
341 sudo mdutil -E /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
342 cd /
343 sumo rm -fr .Spotlight-V100
344 sudo rm -fr .Spotlight-V100/
345 sumo mdutil -i on /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
346 ps
347 ps -ax
348 sudo mdutil -i off /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
349 sudo mdutil -i off /

This is my /tmp folder on Macintosh HD:
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 11 Nov 3 01:59 tmp -> private/tmp

I am a 'switcher' so no real in-depth OS X knowledge here.
What can be wrong? How can I fix this?

Thanks,
Erwin

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro
Suprisingly all of a sudden cvs started working again, cvs didn't come up with the message again.
Code:
  486  sudo mdutil -i on /
  487  sudo mdutil -i on /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/
Perhaps because I started the indexer again?
Erwin

M

MacHeadCase

I had a quick look at Apple Discussions to see if anyone else was reporting this type of problem... And, ok, I wanted to make sure the latest Security Update was safe for me to install!

Turns out there aren't many reports so far of things going bad after the install. Next sites to check is MacFixIt and MacInTouch.

But to get back to your problem erwincoumans no one reported your problem after installing the update at Apple Discussions. Since the problem seems to be fixed, it would seem to me that the indexer was the culprit.

Edited to add:

CVS stands for Concurrent Versions System or Concurrent Versioning System, yes? If so, logically it would make sense to me that the indexer was indeed the culprit as indexing files keeps track of the updates in files, where they are physically, etc.

Quote from the CVS entry:

The Concurrent Versions System (CVS), also known as the Concurrent Versioning System, implements a version control system: it keeps track of all work and all changes in a set of files, typically the implementation of a software project, and allows several (potentially widely separated) developers to collaborate. CVS has become popular in the free software and open-source worlds. CVS is released under the GNU General Public License.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.