• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

nasty NASTY Leopord rumor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I was at my local computer store today in the Mac section talking to one of the employees and he told me that he "heard" that Leopord will NOT work on G4 and earlier Macs. Has anyone else heard anything like this? I REALLY hope this is not true..

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i did a quick google search, and it wouldn't seem likely.

this article summed up some of the basic information pretty well.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1990335,00.asp

seems g4 is still a pretty recently viable technology. i'd guess an individuals success with leopard will depend more on actual clock speed and available ram.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Whoever was saying that is wrong. G3's from what I have heard will not be supported by Leopard but G4's will.

Was that CompUSA by any chance? At the one here in my city the so called salespeople are very very stupid. One did not even know if they had a Mac on the shelves that was right there hooked up working! :spook:

From all I have heard the G4 will be supported by Leopard. Just no G3's which I can understand.

I guess we will find out soon enough though, but I doubt that person knows what he is talking about.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i did a quick google search, and it wouldn't seem likely.

this article summed up some of the basic information pretty well.
http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1990335,00.asp

seems g4 is still a pretty recently viable technology. i'd guess an individuals success with leopard will depend more on actual clock speed and available ram.

good link. reputation left.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoever was saying that is wrong. G3's from what I have heard will not be supported by Leopard but G4's will.

Was that CompUSA by any chance? At the one here in my city the so called salespeople are very very stupid. One did not even know if they had a Mac on the shelves that was right there hooked up working! :spook:

From all I have heard the G4 will be supported by G4's. Just no G3's which I can understand.

I guess we will find out soon enough though, but I doubt that person knows what he is talking about.

It was not compusa but I hear you. your comment reminds me of when a friend of mine went to bestbuy and they told him that once his first gen shuffles battery died he had to trash it because the battery could not be replaced.

I hope he is wrong too!

Thanks for the info. reputation left.

Reaction score
That just wouldn't make sense. Apple has a HUGE user base of G4's with their overly successful PowerBooks. These Laptops are still swarming the place until they die and get replaced by C2D MacBook Pros, but if Apple did that to their portables, they might as well stop supporting their desktop iMac G5.

See the point?

Reaction score
I think apple would be making a huge mistake if Leopord didn't support the G4's. I would be very upset if this was true, becasue I bought one of the last of the ibooks earlier this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
I know the mac revolution has seen an upsurge with the Intel macs, but I wonder what percentage of mac notebooks are PPC and what percentage are Intel. Whatever the numbers, I would wager that Apple can't afford to cut out the PPC percentage of the notebook market by dropping G4 support. G3 I can imagine, but not G4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Consider developers are using Leopard on G4 systems, that rumor would be false.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, we have a few test emacs at work that use G4's and run leopard just fine ...

Possibly he was trying to convince you to buy a new machine?

Q

Quruli

I knew this was bullocks. Apple wouldnt just abandon PPC that quickly, those I think everyone will understand that the G3s are gone. Maybe 10.6 or .7 at the very earliest IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
Yeah about a month ago they used to list Leopard as supporting G3 even saying it was "G3 to Xeon", now that has disappeared but G4 just doesn't seam like;y just yet, they only stopped selling G4 laptops less than 12 months ago.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah about a month ago they used to list Leopard as supporting G3 even saying it was "G3 to Xeon", now that has disappeared but G4 just doesn't seam like;y just yet, they only stopped selling G4 laptops less than 12 months ago.

I hope you all are right and it supports G4's. It should. you make a great point about the powerbook. I bought mine 12.5 months ago and it would be crazy to think leopard would not support it.

Reaction score
Ya gotta remember one thing. If Apple writes a new version of OS X and supports every computer they have ever built and supports every printer ever made, and supports every graphics card ever made, what do you have?

An Apple version of Windows...

I can see full support for machines say back 5 years, but expecting them to support from day one just leaves you with a bloated, buggy operating system that really doesn't take advantage of todays machinery. Be like trying to run Vista on a 286 machine with 256 ram... Even Microsoft finally saw the folly in trying to do that.

Just ask yourself this question, do i really expect OSX version 22.13.8 to run on my now new Mac Pro 10 years from now? I certainly don't, and if you want to see advances neither should you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Just ask yourself this question, do i really expect OSX version 22.13.8 to run on my now new Mac Pro 10 years from now? I certainly don't, and if you want to see advances neither should you.

I think that's pretty much accepted the world over. This particular thread is about the mistaken assertion that Apple will drop G4 support as soon as OS X 10.5. I'm sure PPC will go the way of the dodo, but it won't be in Leopard.

Reaction score
I think that's pretty much accepted the world over. This particular thread is about the mistaken assertion that Apple will drop G4 support as soon as OS X 10.5. I'm sure PPC will go the way of the dodo, but it won't be in Leopard.

You wouldn't think so from some of the sniveling you hear. Your right the ppc will go the way of the dodo as more and more better things come along to take its place, but a good ppc machine will go quite a ways down the road, that is unless you happen to be one who has to have the latest/greatest.

As a matter of fact one of these days my shinny new Mac Pro will be going the same way. Hopefully not for at least 5 years though. Probably by then my shinny new Mac Pro will look like a model T. Change is the one constant in computers and life and trying to make the newest OS work on the oldest machines only means the OS won't do its best job on the new machine.

The G4 or the G5 is not going to quit working just because the newest OS doesn't work on it. While I can understand the disapointment the machine is still good and still working and you can still do everything you were doing before. And now as an added plus it gives you one more arguement to the wife for her letting you buy that brand new shinny machine...(G)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
never heard of this, but seeing how tiger works even with G3's, leopard is still OS X theres no reason why it wont work. I cant wait for it come come out. Im syked!!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
My guess is that it will not work with the G3 systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
well I know that 10.4 already doesn't run on some G3. And even if it did, it wouldn't be supported. And I wouldn't be hert if they did X the G4. We all have our time to go.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.