• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need YOUR help guys and gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Here is the deal guys and gals! My wife has a G4 powerbook with a 80gig HD.

She wants to upgrade to a 120/160gig internal. Does anyone know of a place that has cheap prices and good quality drives?

I am having a hard time finding a 160 at any local computer stores here in Denver. I found a 120gig for $130 and $95 for install which seems best so far.. I figure I could sell the old 80gig internal for somewhere around $50? which would bring my total down to $175.

Does anyone have any suggestions? She does not want to go with an external because she does not want to deal with the bulky external drive and all the wires and such..

Thanks for any help/comments/suggestions!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i hate to say it, but even the geeksquad should be able to handle this - it's not brain surgery.

otherwise, just grab something with good reviews off the internet if you think you can do it yourself. i'm sure people here will be able to offer easy step by step instructions.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"i hate to say it, but even the geeksquad should be able to handle this - it's not brain surgery."

what do you mean?

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
would this drive work? (see link below)

I am pretty stupid when it comes to computers and the parts that will and will not work in them so please bare with me. Why do you think I use a mac? it just works and I dont have to mess with it. Its not my fault my wife wants to upgrade :p

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822149042

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Yes that should work

M

MacHeadCase

I really wouldn't know, kodorsean, if the HD would work for your wife's G4 PowerBook (though the size and interface do look ok for the laptop) but if you ever need instructions on removing and changing the HD, you can find them here: Fixit Guides. Just click on the correct PowerBook model and you'll go to a well illustrated step-by-step How To.

Good luck! :girl:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
"i hate to say it, but even the geeksquad should be able to handle this - it's not brain surgery."

what do you mean?

well, they don't have the best reputation since bestbuy purchased them(anecdotally and through personal experience). and i'm not really biased... i've been employed by bestbuy for over ten years

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.