Help with iChat/AIM

Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is Andrew and I just made the switch from an HP to an iMac this week. :)

There is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out yet though. A friend hooked me up with Adium and that works well, but I can't seem to figure out iChat.

When I open iChat up there is no option for logging into AIM. It's there it's just grey and won't let me click on it.

Can someone help me? And Im not sure if I'm just totally clueless or if Adium is somehow interfering with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
you dont have to use ichat. you can download AIM for mac which is closer to what your used to. ohh btw good job switching from hp to an imac cause hp is garbage (not printers just pcs)

OP
C
Reaction score
Haha forgot to mention that I already downloaded AIM but its the most unstable thing in the world.

First of all..it loses connections constantly and then sometimes it freezes up. Didn't even think that could happen on a mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
you dont have to use ichat. you can download AIM for mac which is closer to what your used to. ohh btw good job switching from hp to an imac cause hp is garbage (not printers just pcs)

HORRIBLE advice. AIM hasn't been updated on the Mac in years, and it almost constantly crashes on Intel Macs. In AOL's eyes, iChat is the official Mac AIM client.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Hi all!

My name is Andrew and I just made the switch from an HP to an iMac this week. :)

There is one thing that I haven't been able to figure out yet though. A friend hooked me up with Adium and that works well, but I can't seem to figure out iChat.

When I open iChat up there is no option for logging into AIM. It's there it's just grey and won't let me click on it.

Can someone help me? And Im not sure if I'm just totally clueless or if Adium is somehow interfering with it.

Did you create an account in the iChat preferences? If so, can you take a screenshot of what you're looking at?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HORRIBLE advice. AIM hasn't been updated on the Mac in years, and it almost constantly crashes on Intel Macs. In AOL's eyes, iChat is the official Mac AIM client.

yes i know that it hasnt had a new version in forever and is not written for intel but it is working fine for me when i use it (few times a week). i wish they would come out with a new version just like the windows version cause that version is pretty good but they probably wont but yeah your advice is always better.

OP
C
Reaction score
Haha nah that was the problem...I didn't have an AIM account setup in preferences! I promise Im not retarded..just a little new!

Thanks though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
IMO AIM for Mac is really bad. If you want to add AIM account to iChat please follow the steps below.
1) Open iChat and goto preferences
2) Goto Accounts tab
3) Click on + button
4) Select AIM Account as the account type and fillout the required info.
That should be it.

Reaction score
ive never been able to connect using ichat... i always get a "connection error" problem... anyone know why?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im not even gonna try and help cause i be told im wrong.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you said you tried adium and liked it...
why use ichat then? for the video, or just to try it out?

not trying to flame, just honestly curious - since i downloaded adium (on the advice of people here), i haven't even thought of opening ichat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini g4 1.42mz 80gig hd superdrive bluetooth and airport + ibook 12" g4 800mhz
you said you tried adium and liked it...
why use ichat then? for the video, or just to try it out?

not trying to flame, just honestly curious - since i downloaded adium (on the advice of people here), i haven't even thought of opening ichat...

I would take aguess at the fact it handles AIM much better - Adium can't open chatrooms

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.