Working with .htaccess files

V

vickers

Hey everyone,

I'm a new Mac user and am having some problems when working with scripts which have .htaccess files.

I know that by default, Macs don't show hidden files such as .htaccess but I'm having problems even when FTP'ing. For instance, I'm using Cyberduck as an FTP client and when uploading script files, .htaccess isn't even making it to the server.

I know that you can override the default settings to view hidden files and folders but this really makes things messy. What are you all doing to deal with this?

V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
First I use Transmission for FTP, it does show hidden OS X files so I can upload what I need.

Secondly, I create my .htaccess file directly on the server and edit it on the server. In Transmission I just double click it and it opens in WordPad and I change or write what I need.

OP
V

vickers

Hey Bryan,

So with Transmission, it will move those local hidden .htaccess files to the server? Cyberduck has an option to show hidden files/folders (which I have enabled), however that doesn't help when moving local files to server.

BTW, great forum. Lots of helpful info here...

V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! It's really our members that make it great.

Yes, I've never had issue with Transmission moving hidden files. Cyberduck though should allow you to create and edit files on a remote server so you may want to try that approach first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can install Tinker Tool and activate "Show hidden files". When you don't need it just deactivate.

OP
V

vickers

Yeah, I did that yesteday but things get a bit messy and I work w/ .htaccess daily.

I'm really just looking for an FTP client that will transfer .htaccess files over to the server, even though they're hidden locally.

V

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
go for Transmit. It handles .htaccess files fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M

MacHeadCase

I use Cyberduck and you can see hidden files by checking out the settings in the menubar View ---> Show Hidden Files (or the keyboard shortcut: Shift + Command + R).

Be careful of how you mess with that file before the upload though.

I used TextWrangler and had some type of setting that made the file completely useless: it had added some invisible characters to the text. A friend told me to try out BBEdit (which I know is good), the trial was conclusive so I bought myself a licence. It works very well.

Another thing is don't play with the .htaccess file's permissions once it is uploaded (like I did... *blush*) as that too will render the file useless.

OP
V

vickers

I use Cyberduck and you can see hidden files by checking out the settings in the menubar View ---> Show Hidden Files (or the keyboard shortcut: Shift + Command + R).

That setting only allows you to view hidden files which are already on the server. It doesn't help when viewing those files locally and the problem I'm having is that .htaccess doesn't make it to the server with the rest of the files when uploading.

I'm probably going to give Transmit a shot...

V

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Oh sorry misunderstood what the hidden files problem was. You can view hidden files on your Mac using various freeware like Titanium Software's OnyX, Santa Software's MainMenu and others.

But I do know Transmit gets good reviews every year though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.