Hard Drive troubles

Reaction score
My hard drive was working fine until about 4 months ago when I noticed it sometimes made a noise different to usual. It usually gives a very quiet ticking noise as most hard drives do when in use, however, occasionally the noise is much much louder for brief periods of time. Not a problem I thought - everything seemed to be working as normal.

However, in the last 3 days my Hard Drive has crashed 4 times. Each crash preceeded by this louder ticking noise before it just dies. Has anyone else experienced this problem or a problem similar to it?

I'm using a High-res 1.67ghz 17" Powerbook g4 with a 100gb 7200rpm Hard Drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
You can use TechTool pro to diagnose if there is any problem with your HD. This link might help you with the diagnostic.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
get anything critical off that drive FAST.

i had one that started doing that and crapped out pretty quickly - it was a maxtor 40Gb - 5200. size shouldn't matter though, that very well could be the drive's death rattle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.