More Mac questions for the rook (Activity Monitor)

J

JuniorNA

Hey guys, Not sure if you guys are familiar wth Parallels, or maybe this should go in the APP category.

But i was wondering what INACTIVE memory means when you do an activity monitor from the utils menu. I'm trying to see how much memory parallels uses up, so when I booted the activity monitor to check..

i had 12MB of ram left!!! Parallels and OS/X were taking up everything...thats why I could barely movet the mouse.

I literally had 10 meg of memory left to use, but I noticed it said something like 150 to 300 mb of Inactive, and wondered what that meant..

Is that memory there for me to use? is it reserve? or maybe its already in use.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz
Yeah, this is something I really wondered about when I first got my mac.

Here is what I know- when you close an application in OS X it will keep some or all of the memory in the "inactive" RAM for a quick recall later on. It will then ration out space to the "free" RAM part.

To see the effects of this, run a program that takes a little longer to load after you reboot. Now, close this program completely, (Command-Q) and start it up again. The apps that I have seen the biggest difference with are Aperture and Word. The second start is so much quicker because of the inactive RAM jumping back on stage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.