How to set up a secure computer to computer wireless network

P

PhilForest

There must surely be a simple manual suitable for a complete beginner (ideally a .pdf) that explains how to set up a secure wireless network between two Macs with built-in Airport Extreme, using the best level of security (which I understand is called WPA). But where would we find this manual? We read through LOADS of documents - most of which explain how to CONNECT to a ready-made network or how to set up a wireless internet connection.

All we want to do is to have a Mac Book Pro connect wirelessly AND SECURELY to an iMac G5; and for the G5 (which is hardwired to the Internet via a USB modem) to share its internet connection with the Mac Book Pro. We specifically want to ensure that neither our Internet connection NOR our computer-to-computer connection can be hacked into by anyone else!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
This article might help you setup a secure wireless connection. If you are intending to use WPA which is the more secure method, try this.

OP
P

PhilForest

Thanks for that. The first link was interesting but I got stuck at "enter your ICTP user name in the User Name box, and your ICTP user password in the Password box". As a relative beginner setting up networks I had no idea what this meant! I guesed that I was in the process of configuring the host machine so made up a user name & password expecting the other machine to need to enter the same info to connect. But from the error message (on the host) I got about not being able to connect I guess I was wrong! I didn't get as far as trying to set up the other machine. Are there any simpler instructions somewhere or can you perhaps help me past this bit? Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.