Linksys Wi-Fi B Router - Can't connect from Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Got my new 17" Powerbook last night and connected to the Wi-Fi at the Apple Store with no problem. Got home and I cannot connect to my Linksys Wireless-B router that has 2 PCs on it working fine. I tuned off WAP and turned on SSID Broadcast but still nothing. The PowerBook doesn't see the newtwork at all.

Any ideas?

Jerry

J

Jarbo

I have a d-link with one win-doz dekstop on it. When I brought the laptop home and turned it on it did not see the network. I clicked on the airport i-con at the top of the screen and checked "default" and all was well. I have since found other networks while I'm on the road and the system has asked me if I want to connect to them. Not sure why yours is not seeing it.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jarbo said:
I have a d-link with one win-doz dekstop on it. When I brought the laptop home and turned it on it did not see the network. I clicked on the airport i-con at the top of the screen and checked "default" and all was well. I have since found other networks while I'm on the road and the system has asked me if I want to connect to them. Not sure why yours is not seeing it.

I am betting that your network's name is Default if you didn't change it on the router. All available networks will show when you click that airport icon. Mine shows no networks at all.

Jerry

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FIXED!

The Preamble was set to SHORT instead of the default LONG. I also set the Basic Rate to 1-2 MBps.

It suddenly became available to the Powerbook.

Thought I would post my solution in case someone else has a similar problem.

Jerry

S

spencerb

I had a pc with a d-link wireless card, and it would search and show all available wireless networks. I use the one on my university campus, but a lot showed up at my apartment complex as well (most had wep on, grrr). However, with my airport (non-extreme) in my powerbook, i can't seem to figure out how to get it to search and return a list of all networks. I have to manually type in my ssid, Any ideas?

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you click the airport meter in the top menubar the drop down should show you all currently available networks. If the access point is not broadcasting the SSID, then you would have to know the name and type it in.

Jerry

A

acerhound

Also having a problem with a Linksys router

Figured I'd add my woes to this thread. Just bought a Linksys 1101.g wireless router to connect to the web with my brand new 12" I-book and can't get the router configured since the CD is Windows only!

I'm new to Macs, new to routers and networking and Linksys tech support online knew less than I (the tech person didn't know a Mac isn't a PC). I have managed to get the IP address for the I-book, but don't exactly know what to do to configure the router (there is talk of 'cloning' in the Linksys documentation, but not a lot of help on what cloning IS or how to do it.) I suspect if I could find a way to adjust settings on the router, it would work since my I-book is mad for detecting all the other networks in the building and wherever I seem to take it on the road.

Anyone's advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan(Acerhound)

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

you dont need that CD. and you dont need your ip in fact you dont need anything. you just plug your router in type 198.162.1.1 your username admin password admin. on the basic set up chose DHCP unless you have a static ip address provided by your ISP. after that go to admin change the password so people like me cant log in and turn your router off. you can also go to the wireless tab and name your router if you so wish to do so.

what the linksys and all router books talk about cloning the mac address that has nothing to do with apple computers it is a term not related to your computer in anyway. tell your router not to clone your mac address unless your ISP tell you to do so.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.