Problems with Office for mac

Reaction score
Whenever I'm typing something, as I'm typing the rest of the words are getting deleted. Like say I have to add a word in the middle of a sentence, when I'm typing that word, the rest of the words are getting deleted. I know when that happens on a PC you press the "insert" key on the keyboard, but my macbook doesn't have that key. (I just looked on line and I guess the term is "overwriting" but I couldn't find how to stop it from doing that)

Whenever I'm using office mac, my computer gets REALLY slow and I can't do more than one thing. Like if I need to check my email while I'm running offic, it takes forever and I constantly have the spinning coloured wheel. I'm on my PC right now because it took me 7 minutes to try to get on the website on my mac (I had office running), and I just gave up. It's like the rainbow wheel spins, and stop, and spins some more and stops. It drives me crazy! Also, whenever I'm using office, my fan ALWAYS comes on and gets so loud.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

Reaction score
this means you probably just need more ram, i added a gig stick to my macbook within the last week and have noticed a big increase in performance. i noticed that once office has been loaded once on your mac, then it will kind of be "cached" into the memory and if you closed it and reopened it, itll open up much quicker. that is until you restart or shut down the computer though. the only reason it runs slow is because it is not written in universal code yet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Whenever I'm typing something, as I'm typing the rest of the words are getting deleted. Like say I have to add a word in the middle of a sentence, when I'm typing that word, the rest of the words are getting deleted. I know when that happens on a PC you press the "insert" key on the keyboard, but my macbook doesn't have that key. (I just looked on line and I guess the term is "overwriting" but I couldn't find how to stop it from doing that)

Whenever I'm using office mac, my computer gets REALLY slow and I can't do more than one thing. Like if I need to check my email while I'm running offic, it takes forever and I constantly have the spinning coloured wheel. I'm on my PC right now because it took me 7 minutes to try to get on the website on my mac (I had office running), and I just gave up. It's like the rainbow wheel spins, and stop, and spins some more and stops. It drives me crazy! Also, whenever I'm using office, my fan ALWAYS comes on and gets so loud.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks

I agree with the above poster.. your slowness issue could be because you need more memory. that are your mac's specs?

as far as the fans, how loud are they? some noise is normal but if you are hearing that they are really loud or you are hearing any clicking or grinding you could have a bad fan/fans.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am assuming you are running on an Intel machine.
That being the case, MS Office is simply not Universal yet. There are many threads that discuss this if you are looking for an alternative.

To get rid of overtyping, go to Word->Preferences->Edit and uncheck the Overtype mode box.
You can also turn it off by unticking it in the document status bar (OVR).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Devliboy is correct as always. The slowness is because you are running an Intel Mac and Office is not a Universal application yet. More RAM might help though as others have tried it and said it was a lot faster. I guess Rosetta eats up RAM. If you want better performance till the Universal Office comes out, try NeoOffice. It will work with Word files and it a nice application.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help.
So does this mean when universal office comes I have to buy a new program? I'm going to be VERY angry if I have to. I wish I had known before I spent the $300 on stupid Office for mac! :radioacti

And besides Intel, what other kinds of mac are there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.