macbook network cable falls out

R

rhell

I have a macbook that's working fine except for one little detail.
When I connect a network cable to the NIC, the cable doesn't "lock" into place. The cable easily falls out if the computer is not completely still. I've tried a few different cables but no luck.
Isn't the macbook NIC supposed to lock network cables into place like every other NIC I've ever seen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes. It should. When you push it in, it makes a "click" sound and locks-in. Are you sure you are using the correct cable?

OP
R

rhell

Yes, I'm positive I'm using the right type of cable. The UTP cables that doesn't "click lock" in my macbook book work fine in other NIC:s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I have a macbook that's working fine except for one little detail.
When I connect a network cable to the NIC, the cable doesn't "lock" into place. The cable easily falls out if the computer is not completely still. I've tried a few different cables but no luck.
Isn't the macbook NIC supposed to lock network cables into place like every other NIC I've ever seen?

It should lock in.. is it possible you have an issue with the connector on the macbook? Take it into an apple store and have them look at it.. if its under warranty they should fix/replace it for free if they feel it was not caused by user damage.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also try CAREFULLY bending the plastic lock out a bit. I have had that issue with some FJ45 ends with some Jacks.

OP
D

DV'sG4

This happened to me before. Except the reason why it happened to me was because I got mad at someone and I acted like I was going to chuck my iBook at them ( i'm stupid)..I forgot I was hard wired to my laptop so when I picked it up and flung it in my arms all you heard was pieces of plastic hit the floor..as did my jaw..

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Are you sure you are you are using an rj45 (ethernet) or using a rj11 (phone).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you sure you are you are using an rj45 (ethernet) or using a rj11 (phone).

Good point! Never thought of that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.