Brand new mac book and belkin wireless network

Reaction score
Help. Got my new mac book 2 days ago (intel core 2 duo model). Everything is going well apart from I keep getting an error message every time I try to conect to my wireless network. The message reads - 'there was an error joining the airport wireless network "belkin54g".

I've got 2 pc's connected to this network and I can hard wire using ethernet cables into the modem but the airport system won't work. After 3 hours on the phone to belkin and an hour with mac support I am really stuck.

Please help

R

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Pro 2017 3GHz 10-core 128GB RAM MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.3GHz i5 16GB RAM
I have noted that when I connect a Windows machine to my Philips network, my MacBook Pro loses the network connection and I then have to disconnect the Windows PC and restart the router. After that the MacBook Pro can connect as usual. Have not yet checked why this is, but you might try to disconnect the PC's and see if it works then.

OP
R
Reaction score
fixed the problem

Bought a new Belkin router today and I'm only having problems when I secure the network but I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Still don't know what the issue was with the other one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Bought a new Belkin router today and I'm only having problems when I secure the network but I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Still don't know what the issue was with the other one.

Ok, which are you using WEP or WPA when you try to secure your wireless?

Let me know and I can help you. If WEP what strength is the key? 40Bit? 128Bit and is is ASCII or HEX?

OP
R
Reaction score
Wep

OK,

I'mlooking at 64 bit WEP at the moment. Was on th ephone to Belkin tonight and they suggested I put a $ at the start of the key but this didn't work. Now they are telling me to contact apple.

V frustrating.

R

Reaction score
I am having the same problem, with my SMC router. What makes it worse, is that I had a friend visiting last week, with the same macbook as I have he and he could connect. How utterly frustrating. To add info, I can't connect with the WEP disabled, or with it enabled how I usually have it with 128 Bit Hex WEP key.
Hopefully someone could help both of us.
Jess

OP
R
Reaction score
Fixed it

Had to use WPA (PSK) security. Now my network is secure and my mac connects.

What a pain in the @rse.

Happy now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Had to use WPA (PSK) security. Now my network is secure and my mac connects.

What a pain in the @rse.

Happy now.

WPA is MUCH more secure than any WEP so you are far better off using it.

The reason you were having problems with WEP is you probably did not change the WEP type to the correct setting. I was going to post a pic but since you got WPA working, stick with it. You will be a lot safer from people getting into your WiFi.

D

djl10

I'm dying here...please help!

Hi

I have exactly the same problem as Roby.....shiney new macbook pro, a wireless belkin router and a very frustrating error message saying "there was an error joining the airport network "belkin 54""

It works on my windows XP machine.......it works when cabled.....I have no security enabled (yet).....I've upgraded the firmware to the latest version (pc still works).....been on the phone to the muppets from belkin for hours.......etc etc etc.

does anyone have any ideas?? i'll just buy a new router if needs be but I hate being beaten!! i've only just converted from windows on the "it just works on a mac" promise. please dont tell me it doesnt!!!:radioacti !!!

thanks in advance

djl

C

chrischris

i have the exact same problem as above, it does not connect ever. im serisouly about to cry.

ive tried with WEP and WPA and it still says ''unable toconnect to belkin54''

please, anyone?!

Reaction score
same problem, created a thread after i searched, and did not see this thread.

what is the $ meant to do?

P

Porker

Hello and Merry Christmas, This is my first post and unfortunately I have the same problem. I have just bought an Imac and and macbook after 3 years flawlessly using my Belkin Router/modem with a HP Laptop PC. The HP finally gave up the fight and after some research I have made the switch to Mac.

The annoying thing is I have spent 5+ hours trying to get the wireless working on the macbook and had to admit defeat. (it worked fine using the ethernet cable) I thought I would get the iMac out of the box and try that. 2 minutes after setting up the iMac up it was up and running and wirelessly working and connected to the net. I have copied and duplicated the settings back to the Macbook and still no luck. It appears to recognise the network but comes up with the same "unable to connect" message I have tried everything now and its sarting to affect the Christmas cheer, After spending so much money and time on going to Macs I don't want to regret the move. Any ideas would be welcome?? are apples helpline any good do I look at buying a new router but it seems extremely wastefull when I have one machine working fine. Are Macbooks susceptable to being faulty. ???

P

Porker

Hello again, I went to the apple shop today to ensure that there wasn't a fault with the macbook, the guys there checked it out and connected it to the wireless network in the shop. They suggested a few things which I had already tried. I walked away at least knowing the machine wasn't faulty.

When I got home I started from scratch and reset the router/modem again.

After entering all the information again there was still no change, so I decided to recheck the Belkin website but this time put just the first couple of digits of the router model number in the firmware update search box. I downloaded all the updates that were listed and went through them. Low and behold the first update I tried (which was unrelated to the wireless side) and bang a full wireless signal. Problem solved. The only thing I have noticed now is that the WPA security feature doesn't work but the WEP one does ????

I am unsure if this is the answer to all the problems listed above but I suggest it might be worth trying to seek out all the firmware updates from Belkin and seeing if any of them work.

Good Luck

Reaction score
I just purchased a C2D 2.33 MBP over christmass and the would has been great. However, just yesterday I got the dredded "There was an error joining the AirPort network XXXX" message.

Here are the deets:

At first I was on the library network and both myself, and the girl I was sitting next to got kicked off. Neither of us could get back on for a bit, then, finaly, I mannaged to connect.

I have iStumbler, and all the networks were in PERFECT health. We were a matter of feet from the router...

It seams there was an error with the router, or possibly too many people were trying to connect at once, and the router can only handle so many folks at once...

So, smooth sailing for a few moments, then I lost it again, and never got it back...

I restarted, and that seamed to work, for a bit, and then it cut out again... So I changed buildings to see if that helped, and it did. I was able to connect to a different network just fine, fo a little while anyway... Then I lost that connection as well... So I tried another network, same thing.

So it seams that it can connect to fresh networks, but they start to die out... Now I can't connect to ANY network in the area... Campus or otherwise...

Yes, I have tried alll the "fixes" I could find... Airport Setup Assistant, Keychain Repairs, made a new Location, cleared all my Prefered Networks, tuned off the Firewall, shut off and restarted the Airport, shut off and restarted the MBP... What do I do?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.