Mac OSX 10.4 Tiger

Reaction score
I have an iMac Slot loading G3 which is still operating on Mac OS9.2.2, and I wish to install Mac OSX version 10.4 Tiger, however I would still need to maintain my present Mac OS9 to run my old software programmes etc if possible.
Can I have both Mac OS9 and Mac OSX installed on my iMac, if so is the installation difficult.
I would be very thankful for any information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I have an iMac Slot loading G3 which is still operating on Mac OS9.2.2, and I wish to install Mac OSX version 10.4 Tiger, however I would still need to maintain my present Mac OS9 to run my old software programmes etc if possible.
Can I have both Mac OS9 and Mac OSX installed on my iMac, if so is the installation difficult.
I would be very thankful for any information.

you should have no problems running both and the installation is very simple. If I am wrong someone please feel free to correct me.

M

MacHeadCase

Tiger would have to be on CDs instead of the usual DVD it come on when it shipped. Tiger on CD media from Apple goes an additional $9.95 I think. Unless I'm mistaken, this iMac can only read CDs, right?

And you'd have to make sure the model you have supports built-in FireWire.

Or... you'd need XPostFacto to install it on unsupported models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 AGP 400 MHz 1.34gb RAM
Problems with OS9 and OS10 together on the same drive

I had purchased Tiger and I already had OS9 on my drive. I installed Tiger in addition to OS9 and it did not work. I was able to see OS9 system, but it would not run. I had some troubleshooting sessions with Apple and at the end I was told that I have to back everything off of HD and install Tiger first and then OS9 again. So I ended up reformatting my HD to start clean.
So, you have to be very careful when installing Tiger on with OS9 already on there. On page 7 of the Installation and Set UP Guide which came with Tiger there are some options. Since it has been a long time since I installed Tiger, I don't remember 100% clearly what needs to be done. But, I think you need to select Archive and Install and not Install Mac OSX. I cannot guarantee that this will work, because I did not end up doing it this way from the beginning. The best bet will be to clarify it with Apple.:bone:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.