• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Any suggestions for Wireless Internet Provider ?

Reaction score
I have a new Macbook.......I travel a lot.........I mean A LOT!

I'm looking for a internet service I can use if I'm at home.....or in the middle of Kansas.

I'm not sure how this would work......but I really need it to.

Truck stops have internet deals that work monthly when you're at truck stops.....but I need something that will work when I'm nowhere near a building.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Will

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Yes

Check different cellular services and get a plan for data. Since mb dont have pci express slots you would need a bluetooth phone that works as a modem such as the motorola razr v3. It works through usb and bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Don't be doggin' on the middle of Kansas. I live in souther Kansas most of the time and get a better cell phone signal , faster internet, and better cable out in the boonies than I ever get elsewhere.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yo man.

I like Kansas.....I was just using it as an example.....because some parts of Kansas are really empty.......I wasn't putting it down.

Thanks for the info matt......I have a phone with Bluetooth......It's a Samsung....not sure the model.

Peace out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Sorry, I wasn't trying to get defensive. It's alright. Kansas always seems to be on the ***** end of jokes anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Cingular has good coverage in KS and you can get internet thru them. however they charge out the wang for actually using it with your computer or pda. I've used a SE T637(cingular), and a Nextel i605 to connect. (both with bluetooth) Some carriers charge more for data than others. So check around.

Your other option is to build your own long range wifi antenna
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

3060000000054129.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'd recommend Verizon for a overall decent speed and most coverage. Also verizon is the only carrier right now with a Expresscard data card. (does macbook even have expresscard slot?) If you can't get a datacard, you can tether your cell phone, but make sure your phone can receive the high-speed connection and is compatible.

Cingular's new UMTS is probably the fastest, but it's coverage is limited. If there's certain locations you go to all the time, check different carriers coverage maps to see where you'll be covered most.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.