New iMac and Buyer's Remorse - Do I have both?

OP
S

samoan_ridah

Just thought I'd post a little update having passed my two-week mark...

First of all, I think I am finally getting used to the differences of OS-X. I have adjusted to using the Mac at home and the PC at work and am doing just fine. I do have to say that after making a few movies and stuff I am really starting to love the ease of use aspect of this thing.

I do have a few complaints though. My biggest gripe is that the thing is not as rock solid as everyone makes it out to be. I get programs locking up constantly when I have resource-intense stuff running and it seems like any software other than Apple or Adobe stuff just doesn't work right half the time (e.g. Toast and Firefox). I also still have issues with my wireless mighty mouse, the right-click is not smooth at all. Some times it requires two or three tries before it actually "clicks". I've figured out that by lifting my left finger off of the mouse before right-clicking it will work much smoother but that is a big inconvenience.

Last night I was creating a picture slideshow in iMovie and my Mac froze up on me several times. I actually had to restart about 3 times in the course of about two hours. I also noticed that while certain clips/effects were rendering, the computer would really lock up to the point where I couldn't do anything but sit and wait. That got a little annoying after a while.

I guess the bottom line is that I am pretty satisfied now with my purchase. It took me a little longer to get used to than most other switchers but I think it is going to work out for me. The guys are right that most of it has to do with great marketing and me being a sucker for a good advertisement. Now that the big expectations are out of the way, I can appreciate it for what it is, a darn good computer!

Thanks all...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
I also still have issues with my wireless mighty mouse, the right-click is not smooth at all. Some times it requires two or three tries before it actually "clicks". I've figured out that by lifting my left finger off of the mouse before right-clicking it will work much smoother but that is a big inconvenience.

I actually struggled with the same thing until I noticed that clicking all the way on the right side does the trick. But then I switched to the one-button style just for the kicks, since I've never had a Mac before, and to my surprise I'm already getting used to it.

But the thing that annoys me the most is even though I've set the 'Tracking' to the fastest the mouse still moves way too slow for my taste. And the fact that it doesn't glide well just adds to it.

But it's alright.. I'm switching back to my Logitech MX1000 :black:

Reaction score
I got my wife a macbook a couple of months ago, I like it so much that I got one for my self just after Thanksgiving. It has taken a little while to get used to OS X but I'm getting there and loving it.

As for mice, I got a bluetooth logitech V270 today and I really like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Ghz, 1 g memory
Brian,

I bought my first Mac about 3 weeks ago (Macbook). I felt the same way you did over the first week. I even researched the return policy with my tail between my legs. Since then what I've found is that first of all this forum is great for any and all help you need. You'll get pointed in the right direction in here.

Secondly, I now know that my Mac is capable of doing the things I thought it couldn't do in that first week (i.e photo org and manipulation, networking, video etc ...)

I got on my wifes' pc last night to update her antivirus and for the first time really appreciated my Macbook.

What is even more reassuring to me is that I'm sure I've only learned a tiny bit of what there is to learn on this thing so the future looks bright.

Good luck!

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
My changeover strangeness period lasted about two days. Now my MacBook is my computer of choice - still not as stable as the hype leads us all to believe though!

Jem

Reaction score
I also still have issues with my wireless mighty mouse, the right-click is not smooth at all. Some times it requires two or three tries before it actually "clicks". I've figured out that by lifting my left finger off of the mouse before right-clicking it will work much smoother but that is a big inconvenience.

I agree, I put up with my mighty mouse for 6 months and must say although I did get used to the quirk of having to lift off the left finger when right clicking. When playing games that was just impossible in some instances so finally I ditched it for an old MS Intellimouse and its much better :)

Last night I was creating a picture slideshow in iMovie and my Mac froze up on me several times. I actually had to restart about 3 times in the course of about two hours. I also noticed that while certain clips/effects were rendering, the computer would really lock up to the point where I couldn't do anything but sit and wait. That got a little annoying after a while.

OK, I don't get this - when you say it froze and you needed to restart 3 times, did you attempt to "Force Quit" the application first? Thinking about it, perhaps you haven't even found the Force Quit option? Alt-Cmd-Esc brings up the equivalent of the Windows Task Manager and you can force quit an app that's become unresponsive. You can also do this by right clicking on the dock but I find that doesn't always work (but maybe that was down to my Mouse!).

I've only ever had to restart to install (some) software or when I had some bad memory installed and was getting Kernel Panics which do require a full restart. I do plenty of memory intensive stuff with things like Toast, Handbrake, iSquint for video encoding, iMovie for video joining and editing and lots of Garageband and have never had any issues requiring a restart.

I have seen iMovie get to the end of the Importing process and just sit there, doing nothing. I have had to kill the process before but other times left it for an hour, came back to it and found it was all running again - I dunno what iMovie does at the end of the import process but it can take a long time!

Oh and just cos I haven't experienced problems, I'm not a fanboy :D :D

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I dunno what iMovie does at the end of the import process but it can take a long time!

I suspect what is happening is that the progress bar is out of sync with the import process, i.e. the progress bar finishes long before the importing has finished.

Reaction score
I started using PC's when they were first put in the workplace (circa 1980). I've used them exclusively since last April, when I switched the house over to Macs (still using XP at work).

After about a month of what you're feeling, all became well as I accepted that OSX was not XP, and that this was a good thing. You'll learn the system and how to customize (just like you did with Win over the years).

Apple is really an elegant solution. It does attempt to "guess" what you want to do and do it for you, but I've found that Apple is correct in this far more often than Win.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini 2.6GHz i5 8GB RAM 1TB HDD OSX Yosemite
Well short of turning my room upside down looking for my receipt... I'm pretty sure I'm pushing the window on the 14 days... I've got a macbook (like it) but would rather have a macbook pro because of the 15" screen... I spoke with the store I bought it from and they never mentioned I could return it to mac. He said if I've registered it nothing could be done. You think Apple would swap this macbook with a pro?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.