Converting mp3s from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
Help!

I've just used iTunes for the first time and am trying to convert them into audio CDs but I keep on getting the message "cannot convert file since it is a protected title" or something.

Is there no way to convert these mp3s to wave files in order to create normal CDs?

If I burned them to an mp3 audio CD and then ripped them back into iTunes would it let me do it then??!!

Any help would be most welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
where did you get the mp3's did you buy them from itunes or other site or did you rip them from a cd into an mp3 format?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
wave files on a cd???

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
wave files are as close to the redbook audio on a cd as you'll get.
i believe windows media player used to rip them by default when 'ripping' a cd.

they do give the best results as well when pulling tracks from one cd to make another (dupe or mix cd). they just take up lots of space since they're uncompressed.

to the OP, i think that's one of the restrictions of itunes (and one reason i'll never use it). the mp4 files are copy protected in some way, as i understand it.

though i love my macbook, i can't ever see myself using the itunes store or tool, or buying an ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
First you can't re-encode files purchased from the iTMS.

You can't burn songs from the iTMS into a MP3 CD (They aren't MP3's).

You dont need to turn them in to a .wav file in order to make a "normal" Audio CD.

You can burn purchased songs to Audio CD an unlimited amount of times.

You can't burn the same playlist more than seven times.

Thats to stop you from making unlimited copies of one album.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
Thanks!

After a few hours I managed to work out although iTunes doesn't let you convert purchased songs, and as you say IronMac, you don't need to - all I had to do was hit the burn button and stick in a blank disc.

What a wally!

Still, I've only had my mac for a couple of days and everything is just soooo different from my old PC (but better).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
to the OP, i think that's one of the restrictions of itunes (and one reason i'll never use it). the mp4 files are copy protected in some way, as i understand it.

though i love my macbook, i can't ever see myself using the itunes store or tool, or buying an ipod.

To the op, glad things work out.

Eric, come on, spreading mis-info about itunes, sorry but it drives me nuts. I got an ipod (then a mac) because of the restriction in windows and on bought cds. With an itunes purchase you get unlimited burning, sharing on up to 5 computers and unlimited ipods. Yes, DRM but at least it is reasonable. Buy a cd and get restrictions (one company will not allow the cd to be played in a car stereo) or Trojans and they don't usually work on mac. Buy for other online services and it plays on one computer period.

Until the music company get it together itunes is at least a hope in a dark time of DRM.

Bone

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'm not an expert, just am going by what i've heard.

are you telling me, you pretty much can do whatever you want with a song purchased on itunes?

all i'm really trying to get across is, if i'm going to spend my money on something like itunes (with any built in restrictions) or emusic (with none), then i've got to go emusic (or ideally cd - which then gives you uncompressed sound as well).

same with the ipod. i've heard that once you move music on to it, you can't move music to another computer (essentially using it like the hard drive that it is). is that not true?

all of this put together just leaves a baaad taste in my mouth. sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to purposefully spread misinformation. but try to see it from the other side too. if i was someone who didn't know anything at all i'd be really angry if someone pointed me towards itunes or an ipod without fully explaining the limitations and alternatives.

[edit] sorry, missed this the first time - what restriction on bought cds in windows? i know of no such thing? maybe it's because i nver ripped wmvs - is it only for wmvs? [/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i'm not an expert, just am going by what i've heard.

are you telling me, you pretty much can do whatever you want with a song purchased on itunes?

all i'm really trying to get across is, if i'm going to spend my money on something like itunes (with any built in restrictions) or emusic (with none), then i've got to go emusic (or ideally cd - which then gives you uncompressed sound as well).

same with the ipod. i've heard that once you move music on to it, you can't move music to another computer (essentially using it like the hard drive that it is). is that not true?

all of this put together just leaves a baaad taste in my mouth. sorry if it sounds like i'm trying to purposefully spread misinformation. but try to see it from the other side too. if i was someone who didn't know anything at all i'd be really angry if someone pointed me towards itunes or an ipod without fully explaining the limitations and alternatives.

[edit] sorry, missed this the first time - what restriction on bought cds in windows? i know of no such thing? maybe it's because i nver ripped wmvs - is it only for wmvs? [/edit]

Hey thanx for not taking offence with my snotty post.

Okay,

Can't do anything I want with itunes (same with the girlfriend) but I can do a lot of reasonable things (again, like the girlfriend). 5 computers so if she buys an album I like I have it too and so does the kid. (just like a cd sharing with in a household fine, you 7 friends not so fair)

With the ipod, you can enable hard drive mode and move any file on and off. However, in music mode no you need a 3rd party program. But the same with every other mp3 player I've owned. (and there have been many) Creative requires crappy software to manage and move music. So if you want to move music off of it you have install the software on the other computer.

I also love the store simply because it is simple and quick (when brittney releases something new I am so there :)) Yes, emusic is not bad and there are other services that don't use DRM and all of their music can be bought and moved into itunes and on to the ipod.

I guess I don't see these things a limitations. I had a few bucks tied up in music I bought from a windows service and when I bought a new computer, gone, for ever. Licenses backed up, but could not be moved. As for CDs One word Sony. Also,

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050922-5339.html

I can't find the news article for the car cd thing, but a band last year released a cd and the warning lable stated that the music was not to be put on a computer, portable music play (mp3 or cd) or a car stereo.

No one has to love itunes or the ipod, but hate it for real reasons not over blown mis-information. It seem to be fashionable (even in the mac community) to dislike the ipod. But really it works, simple enough for the girlfriend to figure out on her own, and robust enough for me to manage the way I want to.

bone

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
no problem about the easy attitude - i'm in no way trying to pick a fight either.

i agree about the creative thing - i had a 40 gig player, but all it did require was to load a very light explorer type program to move files (and a larger program for music if you wanted an "itunes like" interface.
my most recent 1G creative player and 2G sandisk player work just like flash drives - no additional software required at all, and no limitations other than size. this is my ideal preference obviously
icon14.gif

there are just so many potential places that both winidows and macs, and the tools we use with them, limit us, that i get itchy when i see it happening. i've just got a sore spot. i've had (or had access to) tons of music for as long as i can remember, my dad's record library, my own albums, tapes, and cds. even now i've got upwards of 1000 - 1200 prerecorded cds. i just want to be able to use it all as freely as possible; even if, from time to time i'm skirting some semi-archaic laws (though i've never fileshared). i like to make friends mix cds. i made all the guests/couples at my wedding the same mix cd with a sampling of the music i prerecorded on 5 cds for the course of the whole wedding and reception.
hopefully any 'sample' i give to someone will result in them picking up a cd by one of my favorite artists, or even buying their stuff off of itunes.

different people obviously have different sensitivities and sensibilities. ours are obvioulsy not identical, but i'd venture to guess that they're not all that different.
icon12.gif

again, sorry if i had any misconceptions that i wrongly perpetuated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no problem about the easy attitude - i'm in no way trying to pick a fight either.

i agree about the creative thing - i had a 40 gig player, but all it did require was to load a very light explorer type program to move files (and a larger program for music if you wanted an "itunes like" interface.
my most recent 1G creative player and 2G sandisk player work just like flash drives - no additional software required at all, and no limitations other than size. this is my ideal preference obviously
icon14.gif
That interface made me cry.

there are just so many potential places that both winidows and macs, and the tools we use with them, limit us, that i get itchy when i see it happening. i've just got a sore spot. i've had (or had access to) tons of music for as long as i can remember, my dad's record library, my own albums, tapes, and cds. even now i've got upwards of 1000 - 1200 prerecorded cds. i just want to be able to use it all as freely as possible; even if, from time to time i'm skirting some semi-archaic laws (though i've never fileshared). i like to make friends mix cds. i made all the guests/couples at my wedding the same mix cd with a sampling of the music i prerecorded on 5 cds for the course of the whole wedding and reception.
hopefully any 'sample' i give to someone will result in them picking up a cd by one of my favorite artists, or even buying their stuff off of itunes.

I don't know of anything that restricts music you already have. Even WMP lets you burn mix cds and such. Most restrictions are on recent cds. I have most of my cds in my library and have used them with no issue in both itunes and WMP. In Canada we are a little better off as we (I think) still have "fair use" rules. But the climate is changing. With the Zune giving money for each player sold sets a nasty standard. I would predict that in the next couple of years the only music without heavy restrictions will be indi, unsigned bands. Which might not be too bad. I mean if you buy Brittney maybe you should be restricted on sharing, kinda like a condom.

Bone

Onward to a brave new world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.