Macs good for Design

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Just wanted to pose some friendly questions. Is there anything that makes a Mac better, or worse, for web design, when compared to a Windows based machine? I've been thinking about buying a Mac Mini to do some Flash work. Also, would you recommend 1 Gb or 2 GB of RAM for Web Design (or in general). Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
Macs are great to design on, but if you want the new core2duo processors I'd wait until CS3 comes out as it's not universal yet. It still runs on the core2duos but it's not as fast as running on the mac processors.

As far as what makes them good. A. They don't crash, I've never had a problem out of mine and don't expect to. B. They are faster and handle things much better than a Windows machine.

I'm a new mac user, so I'm sure I'm missing some points of interest, but those are what I've noticed.

OP
J
Reaction score
Just to clarify... Are you saying that photoshop CS3 will run better on the Intel Macs, as opposed to the "Mac" Macs (or equally)? Also, are they going to be adding core 2 duos to the minis, or are they sticking with the core duos for now? (Darn Intel and their naming convention!) Also, how about the performance of the formerly Macromedia software (Flash 8, and dreamweaver)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPH: 3.5Ghz i7 | MPS: 2.66Ghz Xeon | iPhone 4S | iPad 2 | MacBook 13"
It should run equally as it would be universal.

As far as c2d, I'm not sure when or if they will be coming to the minis and as far as the formerly macromedia software, not sure on that either. Performance should be about the same as the adobe products as none of them are universal yet. I know dreamweaver takes around a minute to load on my Mac Pro Quad with 3 gigs of ram, but after it's loaded it runs pretty smoothly.

OP
J
Reaction score
OK cool, anyone else know about RAM requirements? I'm thinking 1 Gb since I'm strapped for cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
a minimum of 1gb. obviously the more ram you;ve got the better. (within reason!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I'll echo what mikeb2204 about CS3 on Intels.

I'm running CS2 on a Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz Core Duo and it is so sluggish. It runs better on my 3 year old XP AMD machine. We just have to hang fire until early next year.

I'm only on a gig RAM though - I'd recommend 2 gig RAM as Rosetta (what the Mac uses to emulate PPC applications) uses some extra RAM.

That aside, if you're running a native application for things like graphics and video editing a Mac should run rings around a similar spec PC.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
To be honest for GOOD web design all you need is a text editor to create a CSS file and an XHTML file, therefore it doesnt really matter which platform you use. Its only when you start to create some graphics for your website that you require a high performance program like Photoshop. Photoshop again runs on both Mac and Windoze, so really its down to which platform you like best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook + 20" Display + 19" Display
Also, how about the performance of the formerly Macromedia software (Flash 8, and dreamweaver)?

i Have dreameaver,flash and fireworks 8 on my duo core mac and they work fine and ive only got 512mb RAM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.