Order of Dock Favourites

Reaction score
Hi. I have my Favourites folder in the dock, containing shortcuts to regularly used files and folders. This enables me to right-click and access the files easily.

However, I can't order the shortcuts in the dock folder how I'd like, ie, grouped together by kind - they're organised alphabetically. I can order them by kind in the actual Favourites folder in the finder, but not in the dock.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Only way I know is to manually move it along the dock. You can use dividers to keep them more organized.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
No, I don't mean I want to re-order the items on the Dock... I have a folder on the right side of the Dock, next to the Trash. This is a shortcut to the Favourites folder from my Library, to which I've dragged shortcuts to a number of files/folders.

If I right-click on this Dock folder, a pop-up list appears from which I can open the files/folders within it. What I want to do, is order the items in the docked Favourites shortcut folder pop-up list.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah, I just tried it and see what you mean. I even made an alias of my applications folder and arranged it the way I wanted, but you drag it to the dock it goes back to by Alphabet. Once the folder is in the Dock I see no way to re-arange it the way you want to. If I find something I will report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
If they are all aliases then you could number them in the desired order, ex. instead of "somefile.doc alias" you could change it to "1 somefile". I would recommend using aliases with this method as you would not need to rename the file itself. I know this probably isn't the way you want to do it but it doesn't sound like there is any other way to do it.

OP
MartinS
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, michaelstumpf - that works a treat.

What kind of aeroplane is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
Thanks for the suggestion, michaelstumpf - that works a treat.

What kind of aeroplane is that?
You're quite welcome. As for the plane, its a Pilatus PC-12.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.