Intel Mac: Office 2004 Mac or Office 2003 Parallels

Reaction score
I have a 2.33GHz MBP C2D, and Parallels. I own a copy of Office 2003 that can run in Parallels but have not purchased Office 2004 Mac.

What benefits, if any, would there be to buying Office 2004 instead of just using the suite I already own through Parallels?

Thanks in advance ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
The only benefit that I can think of is that you would not have to run Windows...however I find that the Office thru Windows thru Parallels runs much quicker then Office 2004 for Mac.

Reaction score
Well I've only used the "test drive" of 2004. If I wasn't concerned about the money portion of it I would defenitly do the Mac version. I'm not a big power user of either. Mostly Excel & Word, but I like the little things that make it better. Like using the 2 finger scrolling both vertical AND horizontal. Its much quicker than using those little arrows.
Its not much advice, but it gets the thread going....

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Will the Parallels/Office2003 applications have access to Mac OS X's built-in "print to pdf" capability, or would I need to instal & use Acrobat in my Parallels virtual machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
I am assuming that you will need to install acrobat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
In the Parallels world, you have the advantages and limitations of the operating system running within; in other words, you do not have access to the Mac's "print to .pdf" in your XP environment under Parallels. As Reel said, you'd need to install Acrobat or you could download a package like GhostScript for free.

I run Office 2004 for Mac and Office 2000 (jeez, I hate Office 2003: bloatware!) in my XP partition in Parallels on the same machine. They both run equally well for me.

On my MacBook (2.0 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB) Office 2004 for Mac doesn't run nearly as badly as some people on this forum may have you believe. I do a lot of Powerpoint presentations and Excel workbooks for my office, and my Office 2004 for Mac runs nearly as well as Office 2003 runs on my office ThinkPad T40.

OP
ToddG
Reaction score
Is there any functional difference between Standrd and Student/Teacher versions? If a legal copy of Student/Teacher fell out of the sky, can I install and activate it without any kind of "proof" that I'm a student or teacher?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Is there any functional difference between Standrd and Student/Teacher versions? If a legal copy of Student/Teacher fell out of the sky, can I install and activate it without any kind of "proof" that I'm a student or teacher?

I was sold the Student/Teacher version and given a wink by the sales person and this was in an Apple Store. I am neither a student or a teacher, although my other half recently started a course that qualifies us. I'be probably spent over $5,000 on MS products in the last 20 years anyway, so I don't feel too bad.

Anyay, there are no technical restrictions on the software, but by accepting the terms of the license agreement, you are in breach. It's your conscience.

As to the original poster. I use Office 2004 on the Mac and also have Office 2000 installed on Parallels (like caribiner23) and both run equally well. The Mac Office suite gives you Entourage which can sync up to other programmes and has some nice features. Also, word and excel sit nicely on the desktop with transparent tool bars etc which is nice.

Some people say it runs slowly under Rosetta. Obviosuly I have not tried it on a G5, but it runs fast enough for me. Certainly faster than Office 2007 under WinXP, so there you go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Ram, 250Gb HDD nVidia GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
Just to say, I am a student so I got that edition but to my surprise there was absolutely no verification asking to prove it. Also I remember reading on a MS Blog that the wording on the EULA basically means everyone could qualify because everyone is in the process of learning in some manner, basically a badly worded EULA.

Reaction score
FYI

Codeweavers is working on a version Crossover that runs on OSX. It will support Office2k3. Its in beta now and you can preorder for 40 bucks.

Just a thought for anyone that wants some of those Windows applications but doesn't want to dedicate resources to a virtual machine.

http://codeweavers.com

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.