• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just got an LCD TV....=\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Well I just bought my mother an samsung LCD tv for an early x-mas gift. The set up was a breeze. From what I have noticed so far the picture is not as good as her 10yo CRT TV. Whats that about?

The only reason that comes to my mind is that we don't have digital cable or a cable box in that room. We just have standard cable. Does this make sense?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yes that does make sense, if the line is bad the lcd will show it more then another tv will because its expecting a really good signal and has a higher definition so it will look fuzzier on a bad cable line then an old crt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
yes since you dont have digital cable the picture wont look as good as a crt but everything else will look better

OP
digital john
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
Wow. Thanks for the fast reply. I hope you are right I would be dissapointed if that isnt the case.

I suppose I will be calling the cable company in the morning.

have some rep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
take the tv down to where there is digital cable (the other room you talk about) and see if the picture is what you are expecting (it should be just like what it was in the store)

Reaction score
i don't know too much about lcd tv's, but everyone i have ever seen sucked. my inlaws have them in every room with digi cable, and the picture quality is no where near as good as our crt flat screen. dvd's look better, but still not as good. i guess HD looks better, but it's still not worth it in my book.

crt>lcd

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You may also, need to calibrate the television. I have two Sharp LCDs. The person that set them up for me, told me the ones in stores are not calibrated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You need HD cable or satellite to really take advantage of an LCD/Plasma TV, otherwise the picture looks bad.

Most places that sell them now have big signs up all around them that say this and they often have big stickers on the box telling you that you need HD TV.

I have Sony Bravia and it did look poor during the time I was waiting to get my HD cable. Now the HD channels look amazing, digital ones look ok and the regular channels still look like garbage on it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I just connect and old vcr to mine and I see what you mean. Looks like I will have to replace a few video tapes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
I don't think my image looks crappy on normal cable, but YMMV. Might have something with NTSC versus PAL. I don't know. But either way, it pays off for us. It saves about a square metre in our flat, which costs much more than the premium for an LCD-TV. And even if the image were much inferior, it'd still be worth it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.