Buying a new IMac: timing

Reaction score
Hello,

I am planning on buying a new IMac soon and I'm wondering what you all might recommend as far as timing this purchase. I had thought that I would buy during the after xmas sales but then I would basically have last season's edition, so to speak and if I get it after new years I might pay more but I would at least have the more recent version of ILife, etc... And what about developments coming in the new year, i.e. Leopard...?

Opinions and advice are welcome, please and thank you.

Rusty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There will always be something "new" to wait for so I say just get it when you want to have it. Otherwise, you'll be waiting forever :)

If it makes you feel better, I just bought a new iMac 2 weeks ago...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
The new core 2 duos just came out recently so there isnt going to be any major updates except lepord and who knows when that is coming out

OP
R
Reaction score
There will always be something "new" to wait for so I say just get it when you want to have it. Otherwise, you'll be waiting forever :)

good point. thanks for the responses.

Rusty

Reaction score
I'm planning a new iMac, too. But given that it's only a few weeks away, I'll wait to see what's announced at MacWorld before taking the plunge.

Reaction score
I just ordered a 17" iMac from Amazon tonight. I know it's a low-end model but $825 after rebate was just too good to pass up.

There is always something just around the corner and you have to pull the trigger at some point.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hello,

I am planning on buying a new IMac soon and I'm wondering what you all might recommend as far as timing this purchase. I had thought that I would buy during the after xmas sales but then I would basically have last season's edition, so to speak and if I get it after new years I might pay more but I would at least have the more recent version of ILife, etc... And what about developments coming in the new year, i.e. Leopard...?

Opinions and advice are welcome, please and thank you.

Rusty

there is no good timing.. every mac I have bought less than 3 months later something bigger and better came out.. same with my ipods.. just buy one :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Add another vote to the "Just Get It" club. :black:

Waiting for the next Expo or DevConf or something else is futile as there is always something else coming.

Just get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram

I agree, if you want something to be new, it will only be new for at the most a few months. And I just got my iMac yesterday so I think you should get one to! (THERE AWESOME!)

OP
R
Reaction score
alright, ya'll, I'll just get it as soon as I can get the best deal.

I'm pretty new to buying computers so I was wondering if there's some kind of strategy that I was unaware of. Apperently not! :)

Thanks everyone.

Rusty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel Core 2 Duo iMac, 2.16GHz, 2GB Ram, 500GB Serial ATA, 256MB Video Ram
No problem, good luck on that buy! It will be a great computer! :)

Reaction score
I believe that the best time to buy is when you actually need a computer. If there isn't really a need for one then I wouldn't bother buying until absolutely necessary. Then at least you know that you waited it out as long as you could and possibly get the latest and greatest. I however, am extremely happy with my 20" imace C2D :)

Reaction score
I'm even happier with my iMac 20" G5 :) I bought it in November 2005, and Jan 20006 saw the Core Duo iMac - I wasn't unhappy though, coz lots of software was nowhere near Universal, and I needed that computer to tide me through christams vacation. It still runs superb (touch wood) and I wouldn'ttrade it for a Intel Mac just yet...

Reaction score
I plan on switching from PC to Mac soon (I am wanting the 24" Imac with the upgraded video card) but will definitely wait until Leopard comes out and possibly to see what iTV is going to need. Just makes sense for me to wait a couple of months since my PC is limping along just fine right now.
Just my opinion :)
mikeylee

Reaction score
new imac 20"

I just bought my brand new Imac 20" at ecost.com for 1419 plus shipping in one day 1435 total

Sweet deal

apple certified seller

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.