Processor Comparison - P4/2.6GHz and G4/1.33GHz

N

noirluispher

I would like to know is the processor speed between the Pentium and the Apple computers the same? Meaning: Is a P4 / 1ghz the same as a G4/ 1Ghz?

I am obviously trying to compare the processors speed in order to have some type of idea how much faster the Apples are over the PCs. (or vis a versa)

I can't seem to figure out why the Pentiums are so far ahead of the G4s in processor speed.

Let me go on, incase you still can't get where I want to go with this:

Lets say the fastest Dell Laptop is the Inspiron XPS has a processor P4 / 3.4 GHz and Apples fastest laptop is the Powerbook G4 with a processor speed of 1.33 GHz. To me it would seem that the Dell is faster. But for some reason I don't believe that's the case. Mainly for a couple reasons:

1). It's $500 cheaper
2). Alot of people seem to be leaning toward the Powerbook.

If anyone can understand my babbling please respond. I am on the fence about SWITCHING. I just don't want to SWITCH into a Powerbook that's slower and more expensive then the top of the line Dell.

Thank you.

OP
S

StarManta

There's a major consensus that Macs vs. PC's are not the same MHz for Mhz. Unfortunately, it's hard to come across numbers of exactly what the difference is. Most people I've talked to settle somewhere around 1.5-2 times the speed - i.e., a 1.0GHz G4 gives the same performance as a 1.5-2 GHz Pentium 4. I can tell you for sure that my 1Ghz Powerbook runs a lot faster than my parents' 1.5 GHz Windoze desktop at home.
However, I'd be pretty confident that a 3.4 GHz P4 IS going to be faster than a 1.3Ghz G4... That's not why it's more expensive or why people lean towards them, though - they like the OS, the quality of the book, and so on.
You get what you pay for. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
P4 and G4 have major diferences in a wah of handling and procesing data. its like to kompare the bottle and bowl. both can hold same amount of wather, but bowl will empty faster. this is what the velosity engine of G4 is doing. thats why you can not directly compare MgHz-s. P4 clock speed is faster, but it still has the "bottleneck"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
alright, I know I have posted this same link in for this thread multiple times. Here this should explain ALOT. The stats are old, but you get the idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
indexstreamingwide11172003.jpg
chartstreaming_11172003.jpg
chartrendering_11172003.jpg
chartencoding_11172003.jpg
chartphotoshop_11172003.jpg
chartbibble_11172003.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.