usb hard drive won't mount after being unplugged without unmounting

J

jimi.heffernan

First of all, hello all.

Second of all, i purchased a Seagate 250 GB HD yesterday and plugged it into my iBook g4. It worked spendidly, its FAT32 formatted.

I loaded all my media onto it and everything was working great. Then i brought it to my friend's house and plugged it into his MacBook. Everything worked great.

After that, i was out of the room but he, instead of first ejecting the disk, simply unplugged it from his computer. This i know to be bad.

It now won't mount on my iBook or any other computer (mac or pc) and only shows up on Disk Utility, but i can't access any of the data. It is very important that i recover this data, because it was literally all of my media- home videos, photos, movies, and tons upon tons of itunes music files. I ran some searches and came across the guy with the Western Digital, but it wasn't the same situation, so i made this post.

So my question is: What can i do? I know there are expensive programs that can recover the data, but is there a free one? i wish there was because it seems like such a trivial mistake to cost me $100. Also, is there some command prompt stuff i can do to recover it instead? I don't have a Linux machine, but i do have both a PC and this Mac.

Please help!
Thanks,
jimi

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you said you can see it in disk utility? can you do a repair permissions? not sure if it'll help, but worth a try.

also have you tried all manner of options as far as leaving it connected and rebooting, or trying other windows machines, etc? i'm sure it uses a dedicated power supply, have you tried connecting it unpowered, then powering it up? may just be grasping at straws, but worth a shot, right?

hope you don't lose all your stuff, that would s*ck.
icon9.gif

OP
J

jimi.heffernan

eric- i haven't tried your power ideas, theyre worth a shot, but i think its unlikely, because it iddnt work when i depowered it and popped it into a windows box. as for the disk utility, basically everything with 'repair' in it is 'grayed out' the only options it provides me is to reformat it, or erase it....booo...

i feel like if i purchased a "data rescue" or a "diskwarrior" i could get it quick and easy, but...its a large amount of money for a split second decision made when i wasn't even in the room...
once again thanks to everyone for their help!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
perhaps you could get your buddy to foot a portion of the bill? would seem only fair.

maybe someone else has a cheaper alternative? especially for a one shot deal where you just want to recover once, then reformat.

note to self - do backups of files to disc soon!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Get a copy of disk warrior, if your file system is corrupted it should fixed the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.