Some silly questions from a newbie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Duo 2.16Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 465.32Gb HDD/80Gb iPod video 5G
Hi, I've just made the life-changing switch from an old windows PC to a shiny new imac.

Can someone tell me if, when I want to get rid of apps/programs/files, do I just delete them or is there a special way to uninstall stuff like what I would do on a PC?

Also, I'm used to having to defrag my HDD every week or so and clean up the folders for debris left behind - is it the same on the mac and are there special power tools I need to be using regularly to keep my new computer in good shape?

In other words, what housekeeping tasks should every mac user be doing regulalry for maintenance? I'm used to having to do so much for my old PC.

Many thanks,
John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hi, I've just made the life-changing switch from an old windows PC to a shiny new imac.

Can someone tell me if, when I want to get rid of apps/programs/files, do I just delete them or is there a special way to uninstall stuff like what I would do on a PC?

Also, I'm used to having to defrag my HDD every week or so and clean up the folders for debris left behind - is it the same on the mac and are there special power tools I need to be using regularly to keep my new computer in good shape?

In other words, what housekeeping tasks should every mac user be doing regulalry for maintenance? I'm used to having to do so much for my old PC.

Many thanks,
John

to delete a program/app/file just put it in the trash and empty your trash. no need to uninstall.

as far as I know there is no need to "defrag" your HDD. there should not be any debris left behind. If I am wrong someone feel free to correct me.

There is no maintenance required. Apple/Mac's are very simple and user friendly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

Congratulations! & Welcome to Mac world :)

In general it is enough to delete the Application from the /Application folder. However it wouldn't remove all the files. Try AppZapper. It would search for all the related files, which you can eventually delete.

OS X does a good job of defragmenting the disk on the fly. You don't need to take care of this task.

Try Onyx. You can run it regular basis and get rid of Chache files, logs, etc

You can also use the Disk Utility(Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility) to repair Disk Permissions.(Recommended after installation of new software)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
In the same vein as Onyx, I'm a huge fan of Cocktail. Nice interface, and a cool "Pilot" mode.

Reaction score
Actually, just go with Repairing Permissions once in a while and you'll be fine.

And as far as Uninstalling Apps goes, if you don't want any loads of crap to accumulate over the years, use AppZapper. It's worth the 5 bucks and you can get it cheaper if it comes in Mysterypackages at MacZot.com .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.