Battery fluctuations after calibration

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just bought a macbook last week and I calibrated the battery the other day. Since then, the battery time meter in the menu bar fluctuates a lot. Just while I'll be surfing the net or typing a document, the meter will read 2:18, and then it will go down to 1:40, and then up to 1:50, and up and down... when it is on battery, the trend is one of going down, but I can't believe that this is right.

Anyone else experience this? Does it sort itself out over time?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
the time remaining is based solely on what you are doing at the time. Set it to look at the percentage to see the accurate reading. If that is fluctuating then you might have a problem

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the time meter as trpnmonkey41 said, will vary by design.

as your machine is draining more power, it will show a smaller number, as it's using less, it will show a larger number.

it's probably about as accurate as a car with an "instant average" gas mialge indicator. i had one on a cadilac eldorado. if i was accelerating from a stop it could show anything from 0 - 10 mpg. if i was going an even 60mph it may show around 25-28mpg. and if i was going 80 or so mph it would show about 33-35mpg.

just use the % indicator and a clock. if you use for an hour and a half and it's down to 60% (off AC power), then you've probably got at least two hours before it'll want to sleep.

OP
R
Reaction score
I hear you, but it just doesn't seem to make sense to me. In the last 10 minutes I've not touched the computer. The battery meter has gone from as high as 4:46 to as low as 3:28. No change in my use, nothing equivalent to accelerating from a stop in a car.

I've heard so many bad stories about batteries I just want to be sure.

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a computer does a lot of stuff without you touching it. especially one that does journaling and it's own form of defragmenting. what you're seeing doesn't surprise me at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.