• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

what a copy of os x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Windows has always been a copy of Apple/Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Hello.

That's what Windows is even from 1.0. Everything was stolen from Apple and to this day Microsoft is still trying to play catch up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello.

That's what Windows is even from 1.0. Everything was stolen from Apple and to this day Microsoft is still trying to play catch up.

Amen man

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
eh.

windows and mac OSs do different things better. i still miss multiple file renaming right from explorer... not sure why apple thinks this isn't necessary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
I've been using beta and RC versions of Vista for some time, and frankly, Vista is about as like OS X as XP is, which is to say, not much at all. It's pretty much XP with a bunch new features and some nice eye candy.

All I can say is the people that keep repeating that Vista is like OS X likely have no experience with it at all.

Reaction score
I love using both Mac OS and Win XP and would hate to lose one or the other. I like variety and there are some features XP has that are very handy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still prefer OSX for my daily computing, but 2 months with Vista RC2 has me sort of impressed. It's still Windows but I think Microsoft is going the right direction. I really like the UI a lot more than XP. I will probably purchase a copy of Vista Ultimate after it's released for my AMD 64 Gaming system. To me the UI feels a bit more like OSX although it's still very Microsoft. I think it's the widgets and such that have people thinking it's like OSX.

I personally don't care what people think, I do like Vista and feel it's better than XP. I will always use OSX for my main computing and most of my work, but it's nice to have a Windows system around for some of the work I do helping others with their computer problems and for gaming! No rotten tomatoes please!!! :spook:

Reaction score
I think I'll wait as long as I possibly can until I buy Vista Ultimate, y'know bleedin' edge stuff...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been using beta and RC versions of Vista for some time, and frankly, Vista is about as like OS X as XP is, which is to say, not much at all. It's pretty much XP with a bunch new features and some nice eye candy.

All I can say is the people that keep repeating that Vista is like OS X likely have no experience with it at all.

any way you want to cut it WINDOWS is Mac/Apple. Vista, XP, or any other version it was all taken from Mac/Apple thats fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
any way you want to cut it WINDOWS is Mac/Apple. Vista, XP, or any other version it was all taken from Mac/Apple thats fact.

This gets old, so I'll respond once and drop it. Apple didn't invent the GUI and wasn't even the first to market it. The initial work was done at the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center based on earlier work at the Stanford Research Institute and the first GUI based computer was the Xerox Star. There was also a WYSIWYG GUI based program suite called Valdocs produced by Epson. Reports are the Apple was working on the GUI for Mac, and it looked much like the Valdocs system, but after their visit to PARC, the entire look and feel changed to be much more like the Xerox design.

So ultimately, even though Apple fanboys (as opposed to people that just like their products) try to claim that Apple invented the concept, it just isn't so. Apple was the first to market it succesfully, something we've seen them do time and time again. Take existing ideas, refine and expand them, make them work well and give them an appealing style, and then market them. They did the same thing with the mp3 player. There were several on the market (and many of those companies are still making DAPs) prior to the introduction of the iPod, but the market never took off in a big way until Apple refined it.

In the computer and software industries, everyone copies from everyone else, and even though Apple tried to sue MS in the past over the GUI and "look and feel", Apple also got sued by Xerox for the same thing. Both suits went nowhere.

Apple's current OS is based on FreeBSD, a Unix system that they didn't invent (and it's actually a copy of the original AT&T design), and their internet browser is based on KHTML (used in the browser Konqueror) designed by OSS programers for the KDE project (not the first web browser by a long shot, so I guess it's a copy of earlier work as well). New features that Apple has incorporated into OSX were around in other forms (some of them, gasp, in Windows) prior to their introduction into the OS by Apple.

So ultimately, what I'm saying is that there are a lot of ideas around and people use them in their own stuff. Apple does great things, but so do other people, and the really great stuff is being done in OSS these days (and Apple has no compunction about making those ideas their own). The constant everybody copies Apple mantra gets old, when obviously Apple is as big a copycat as everyone else.

Does this mean I "hate" Apple or am a Linux or Windows fanboy? No. I'm a computer enthusiast that enjoys using different hardware, software, and OSes. Limiting yourself to one platform is doing just that, limiting yourself. But computers are tools and entertainment devices (not lifestyles or ego extentions), so if you have one that works for you, fine, use it. Just realize that other people have different wants and needs, and different tastes as well.

EDIT: Got sidetracked and spent a good amount of time reading the history of the GUI (****ed internet just has to much info and is to easy to use sometimes). Anyways, found a couple of interesting sites that may be of interest to people...

History of GUIs:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/gui.ars

Story of one of the true pioneers, Douglas Englebart:

http://www.invisiblerevolution.net/index-inside.html

Check out the 1968 demo. Talk about ahead of his time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.