help reinstalling my os :(

Reaction score
alright so i just got this used ibook in the mail today and the guy i bought it from didnt remember the password for the admin only for one of the restricted users and i want to reinstall my os to just erase the whole thing, thing is, i have an intel mac, and when i try to boot with that disk holding c it comes up with an error, and when i try to do it while logged in as the restricted user it asks me for the admin password, now the guys at the apple store said all i have to do is buy a new disk of tiger and ill be able to install it which doesnt make sense to me because ill still need to admin password right? well the bottom line is, am i having the error trying to boot off the disk because intel macs take a different disk vs ppc? or am i just screwed here, cos i have friends that have ibooks and powermacs so i could easily borrow a disk. also i heard you can change the amount of ram and hit something like option + p + r + apple to dump the ram and reset the passwords, though this only hans 256 so i cant really remove any and im broke so id have to wait to buy more and try that.

i would be eternally greatful for any help/advice
i really dont want this computer to go to waste
thanks so much,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Your intel install disks wont work on the iBook because the intel machines come with an intel specific version. If you buy a retail copy of Tiger you will get a PPC version suitable for iBook, because you can't get intel retail.

You don't need any password to reinstall the machine. Just hold C when booting with the PPC Tiger disk in and it will let you erase the disk and go.

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
Your intel install disks wont work on the iBook because the intel machines come with an intel specific version. If you buy a retail copy of Tiger you will get a PPC version suitable for iBook, because you can't get intel retail.

You don't need any password to reinstall the machine. Just hold C when booting with the PPC Tiger disk in and it will let you erase the disk and go.
you sir are the bearer of such GREAT news. want a hug?
lol thats not gay im just soooo stoked!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
As cazabam said, you won't be able to boot a PPC based Mac using an installation DVD made for intel based Macs (its written on the cover of yoour DVD). You will have to purchase a new installation disk specifically made for your hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.