Dmg files

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just received and set up my Imac and I'm enjoying it already!

But I have a question...

I've downloaded a program which is in dmg format. I have been able to run it by clicking on the icon inside the image of the virtual mounted drive.

Is there a way of "installing the program", as in "installing" like in Windows, so that I don't have to click on the icon inside the virtual drive mounted from the dmg? In other words, is there a way of making this software a proper application "installed" on the mac?

I hope you can understand my question, sorry if it's not clear, I'm not exactly sure how to ask it...

Thanks for reading (and hopefully helping :))!

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Very simple. Just open the folder created by the disk image and drag the application to your "Applications" folder on your hard drive.

Voila!

OP
F
Reaction score
Yep that sure works! I was thinking of doing that, but being a switcher I wasn't sure whether the application file was a simple (pc style) shortcut or not...looks like mac is starting to feel simpler to use :D!

Out of interest...do you usually delete the .dmg files after transfering what's in them?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Jamie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Yes, it wont harm if you delete the dmg file after copying the application to the Application folder. I personally archive all the dmg files incase I need it in the future. But it is just me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
novice's advice is very sound. If there's an app I know I'll want to reload at some point, I burn the .dmg to a CD and put it aside.

This is a holdover from my PC days, so I'm extra A.R. about this. Drivers and whatnot have a tendency to disappear from the 'net after a while...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.