• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Question about Need to re-format Lacie HD for video capture?

E

Eddie NYC

Just got my new Macbook Pro and a 320 gig Lacie external hard drive.

1) Saw something somewhere about people saying if you plan on capturing video directly to the HD (routed through the computer), that you need to reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended. Is this true if I'm doing a bunch of hour long home movies?

2) I have the 7200 RPM Internal hard drive on my system, but is it okay to capture directly to the external and bypass the internal. The internal should be adequate, but would like to go right to the external.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
You're going to have to, because most Lacie drives come formatted as FAT32, which doesn't support video files of more than 4Gb. You'll be better off formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You'll be fine bypassing the internal. I've imported a lot of stuff straight to a *Firewire* external.

OP
E

Eddie NYC

You're going to have to, because most Lacie drives come formatted as FAT32, which doesn't support video files of more than 4Gb. You'll be better off formatting to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You'll be fine bypassing the internal. I've imported a lot of stuff straight to a *Firewire* external.

Great thanks. Already copied some stuff over to the new drive but can do it again. Re-formatting the drive shouldn't impact the stability or reliability of it should it, and its pretty simple to do?

OP
E

Eddie NYC

You'll be fine bypassing the internal. I've imported a lot of stuff straight to a *Firewire* external.[/QUOTE]

Two last questions, found a site that walks through the reformatting. What is the difference between Extended, Extended (Journal), plus the other variations with case sensitivities. It seemed to imply that you use Journal if you want to boot the computer from it (adding drivers). Should I do this vs. just using exteded.

Secondly, there seem to be a lot of options about erasing or not erasing data. I just have some pictures on it at this point and can re-copy over to it. Not quite sure what to do.

Sorry for the questions, just switched from a PC and want to make sure I don't screw something up!

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.