New Switcher...kind of went all out

R

robwormald

So I've been an avid PC user since I started on computers, and i've probably had about 6 PCs in my lifetime (I'm 20), and I finally gave up on my last compaq laptop (1600+AMD), the build quality just plain sucked.

I got my comission check last week (I work at Cingular Wireless, more about that later), and decided something had to be done. I'm a full time student at UT-Austin as well, so i take my laptop to class everyday for taking notes and talking on IM...so I went to Compusa intent on buying the smallest, most powerful portable PC i could find, and nothing really caught my eye. My best friend works for the AppleIT dept here at UT, and she was always raving about her 12" pb, so i wandered over to the mac store and started looking at the 12"...

I walked out of the store with a 15" superdrive pb and the 20" cinema display...and I am utterly amazed by these machines. The build quality is amazing, apart from the one burned pixel on the first 20" display, got that swapped out with no problems though.

I also have a SonyEricsson T616 for work, and i was toying with the bluetooth setting between the two, ended up getting my address book copied over from my phone...i recieved a text message while doing all this, and i went to check it on the phone, and ***, it had appeared on my display as new SMS incoming message, with the option to reply and everything...same with caller ID. BLOWN AWAY i was. Does anybody know if i can answer calls and talk thru the pc speakes and mic?

My only complaint so far is that I had approximately 1000 songs on my old PC laptop, mostly WMAs that i have ripped off my CD collection, and Itunes (which I love) doesn't play. Anybody know of a good utility to convert these all to mp3 and keep my tags and folders intact?

Also, i couldnt really find a good sleve at CompUSA to carry my pb around to class in my backpack...any suggestions?

Took me 24 hours, and i'm never going back :D

OP
R

robwormald

also, is there a way to not make it sleep when i close the lid? i like to listen to music before I go to bed, and having the displays on kind of lights up my room...help?

OP
S

StarManta

I haven't been able to find a good WMA-MP3 converter for the Mac. About the display thing though:
1) USB peripherals can cause the powerbook to wake up with the lid closed: inserting a keyboard and hitting a button, or simply unplugging a USB mouse should work.
2) or, you could just turn the brightness all the way down on you way to bed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Another possibility is to use "sleepless" you can do a search on versiontracker for that. There's been some debates on whether or not it heats up the computer faster, but yah. I've used many a time it works just fine; nothing wrong.

OP
T

TylerMoney

Man. I'm from Austin. I have tuns of friends going to UT. I'm in pittsburgh pa right now going to school at the art institute. Why?...I don't know. I miss Texas alot...don't ever come here....

But I also have just purchased a pb...12....and it's great. I'm so happy with it. High Sierra has a neat backpacking laptop case. I'd look on their site. I got mine for like 35 bucks I think. And it works great for getting around. Lots of pockets and space for extras and anyother school stuff. There are lots at officemax as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.