Speakers for my new IMac

Reaction score
Are the speakers in the Imac good enough for casual listening to music? Or do I need to look at bigger speakers to plug in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Probably depends on what your definition of good is. I dont think they are but....my wife does.

You will probably need to listen to them and then decide. :)

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. I listen to iTunes and tinker about with GarageBand now and then. I reckon they'll be OK.

Reaction score
I think the sound differs with the size of iMac you get.

I have the 24 and I think the speakers are spot on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Are the speakers in the Imac good enough for casual listening to music? Or do I need to look at bigger speakers to plug in?

This is something you can only answer.. I had a 17" Imac and at times I wished they would get lounder than they did.. so for me I needed something that got a bit louder.. as far as sound quality I think they were great..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17", Intel Core Duo
Depends on how far away you go, and how you live. In live in a flat, so the loudness is ok for me. Any louder, and I'd start annoying the neighbours. Plus, the flat's not so big, so I can hear it wherever I am.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
The speakers in my 20in iMac I think for internal speakers are brilliant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" imac, standard apart from 256Mb VRAM
I got some jbl encounters to go with my shiney 24". They sound much better than the built in speakers. I keep my sound level low mostly but they do loud if you want too. Good bass and top end but they need 125 and 250 hz taking down a touch in iTunes for me.

They also look nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
the speakers in my 20" iMac are OK but are not for audiophiles.

i hooked mine up to a Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 speakers, which sound just devine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
the speakers in my 20" iMac are OK but are not for audiophiles.

i hooked mine up to a Altec Lansing FX6021 2.1 speakers, which sound just devine :)

I just picked up some 2.1 Creatve Labs I-trigue 3800s and for what they are, they sound pretty darned good to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5 Dual 2.0, 1GB RAM, nvidia geforce 6600 256MB VRAM, 160GB HDD, 250GB HDD, Dell 2005FPW
as far as internal speakers go they are pretty good. IMO though they're not the best speakers, but I am a bit of an audio nut, and I run my mac through a powered 2Ch amp with bookshelf speakers, so make what you will of my opinion.

The Klipsch Pro-Media 2.1's are really nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
I thought they didn't get loud enough, and didn't have enough bass. But then again I'm a drummer and have done considerable damage to my ears, and have a hard time hearing low tines.

You'll just have to listen and if you don't like them, get better ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo iMac
The sound great to me. I don't like the delay I get sometimes when adjusting the volume with the keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.