replacing the harddrive in an ibook

Reaction score
im not sure if this is a task i should be taking on, but i have an ibook like this
http://www.pricegrabber.com/user_sales_getprod.php?masterid=4622816&lot_id=4130433
and i would like to upgrade the 30gig harddrive to something larger like an 80gig, i have really never taken a computer apart, so what im asking is, is it fairly complicated to do this? and if you think i shouldnt, how much do you think itd cost to have someone do it for me?

oh and i also want to upgrade the ram, but that shouldnt be too bad eh?

thanks a ton,
Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Replacing the RAM in an iBook G4 is very easy. It's underneath the keyboard.

Here are the instructions for replacing the hard drive in an iBook. You can decide if it's a task you want to undertake. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Ram is simple. HD might not be that simple.. Do you have a warranty on this unit? If so you may want to contact apple to make sure these upgrades wont void the warranty.

OP
RiseAbove24
Reaction score
Ram is simple. HD might not be that simple.. Do you have a warranty on this unit? If so you may want to contact apple to make sure these upgrades wont void the warranty.
hm i dont think i do, i bought it used from someone recently
its from 04 and i doubt he had the extended warranty
im sure i know someone who is fairly H4X0r who can do it for me. lol...
hopefully

yeah and i think that would surely void the warranty, maybe ill double check to see if there is one still or not just to be safe.
thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
hm i dont think i do, i bought it used from someone recently
its from 04 and i doubt he had the extended warranty
im sure i know someone who is fairly H4X0r who can do it for me. lol...
hopefully

yeah and i think that would surely void the warranty, maybe ill double check to see if there is one still or not just to be safe.
thanks!

I called apple. If you DO still have a warranty on the machine and you have another company upgrade your internal hard drive it will void the warranty on the drive. The rest of the computer will still be covered on the warranty. Apple WILL NOT upgrade your internal drive nor can they order the drive for you so you can do it yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM
Holy cow!! That is totally mental! I can't believe you have pull the mobo to switch the drive.

Erm.. no u don't...
It's easier to get to it under the heat/radiation shield from the top...
going through the logicboard is... well.. just silly.. :p

Does any1 know the max capable HDD for an ibook g4..
I no it's 100Gb but can it handle 7200rpm??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.