podcasts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
I use iTunes on my laptop. It access my music files on my mac mini which I'm using as a server. But my podcast downloads aren't being saved into my shared library?

What am I doing wrong? :D

Ad

Reaction score
This may seem a silly question, you're using iTunes for podcast downloads aren't you?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol yeah but I I have my library in iTunes set to read from my library on server. I assumed when i was using iTunes from a my mbp and it downloaded a podcast it would save it on the server?

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all iTunes Store downloads are saved in Macintosh HD>Users>YourAcctName>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music.

I know any recorded movie I send from EyeTV to iTunes ends up in the Music Folder.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well I've discovered that it has been reading from my local copy even though in preferences I have the folder location set up to be on my server.

So, I've moved the local copy of the music and renamed it. Now iTunes doesn't load anything :)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think I've sorted it - copied the iTunes Library Data file from server to mbp. Now iTunes loads everything, etc but all stuff is on server :) I hope this is right!
Thanks for advice Pulse

Ad

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok not quite sorted. The problem is that they are reading local copies of the data file. I have made the one on my MBP an alias to the one on the server and that is working for now.

Is there a better way to do it?

Also I can only access it once at a time - ie only one iTunes can use the library - if I try another one it says it is locked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)
I was under the impression that podcasts downloaded via iTunes would save into whereever your iTunes library is (so it should go to your server). When you import a CD or download a song from ITMS, it goes to your server, right?

I manage a local library of music on my MBP, but when I'm at home, I have a library of music on an external drive. When I'm in that library, songs go to it (and vice-versa). I'm pretty sure podcasts do too.

Ponderous!

Please keep posting your results and solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Podcasts, if you're getting them through iTunes' subscriptions, wind up in the path ~username/Music/iTunes Music/Podcasts.

In other words, they're smack in the middle of your iTunes library.

Of course, if you're manually downloading them, they'll wind up in whatever directory named after what shows up in the "Artist" field in the file's ID3 tag.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had to creat an alias to the iTunes data file on my server as per above post and all is ok. I still had the data file as my local copy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iTunes can be a tricky beast at times. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.