word 2004 TEST DRIVE really slow on macbook 2.0GHz Core Duo

P

phatgreatwall

hey there guys, im just running the Word 2004 Test Drive, and it's VERY slow, dunno what's causing it .... im also running bittorrent on the background and itunes, shouldnt slow down THAT much, feels like im running a 200MHZ 486 running word xp, that's how slow it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Office hasn't yet been optimized for the Intel processors so it will be significantly slower until the next microsoft release

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have? I understand you need 1-2gb to run Office properly under Rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Office 2004 runs beautifully on my MacBook 2.0 w/2 GB of memory.

I second Martin's question of how much memory you've got in your machine.

You may want to try quitting all other apps and see how it runs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
phatgreatwall, as the others have said Office has not yet been optimized for the intel mac. If you come from the MS world like I have you will notice that Office does run slower ( I have 2g of ram) then you are used to, but it is still workable.

OP
P

phatgreatwall

i only have 512 that came with this mac, i guess iwork suits me better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The only problems with iWork are: (a) there's no spreadsheet program, like Excel; and (b) Pages is not the most efficient word processor: it's really designed for brochures and more "presentation" type work. Also, saving in Word format from Pages sometimes produces sketchy results.

I would suggest looking at NeoOffice or OpenOffice. At least you'll be able to create, open, and save standard .doc formatted files.

My suggestion would be to spend the money on additional memory-- you will not regret it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.