Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
Low is 1500 High is 6200RPM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
91.4F @1500RPM as I'm typing right now!

This is an app that allows you to monitor and adjust fan speed. I don't advise adjusting unless you just feel the the need. Our mac's are designed to shut down should they get too hot.

http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black macbook, Black 5G 60gig IPOD
91.4F @1500RPM as I'm typing right now!

This is an app that allows you to monitor and adjust fan speed. I don't advise adjusting unless you just feel the the need. Our mac's are designed to shut down should they get too hot.

http://www.conscius.de/~eidac/software/page5/page5.html

As positive a statement as this is I must add that even though the macbook will turn off if the temps reach a dangerous level BUT the excess heat the machine is being subject to in the mean time will decrease its life/efficency.
If you have the 3-year warranty then just set your 'lowest' fan speed to something over 3000rpm, this will keep it relatively cool during normal operation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Ok, I did a search on temps, and 150* is the average operating temp under idle, and around 185*F under load. How do you get yours down to 91*F?

Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I did a search on temps, and 150* is the average operating temp under idle, and around 185*F under load. How do you get yours down to 91*F?

Am I missing something?

I don't know? I'm working on it right now and its been on all day. my ttempis 116.6-118.4 my fan is @1496rpm. I assume they all have different op temps but I couldn't explain why I'm low our high. The fan kicks on when I start ripping video and it gets warm but I honestly don't recall seeing it over 180 ever. As for the book shutting down when too hot I have no experience with that. It says on the download forr the smcfanontrol that the book is configured correctly so I guess I'm just a trusting fool and naively crossing my fingers hoping i don't melt my shinny MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2.0 intel duo, 1gig ram
I ave my fan speed set to min of 1800, and it throttles up when (rarely) necessary. I'm running at 114.8*f. Anything over 156-160 and I would start to worry, the temps shouldn't get that high. If your temps are that high i would check your activity monitor and see if something is holding your CPU at 100% usage and causing it to heat up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
I use icyclone you can set it up for your max temp you will allow. And your max idle temp and it will take over the fans for you. I like it better than SMC Fan Control. Only issue is when you set it for auto mode you set your max temps in celcius. Thankfully dashboard has a unit converter.
http://www.alitacrew.org/icyclone/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
I use icyclone you can set it up for your max temp you will allow. And your max idle temp and it will take over the fans for you. I like it better than SMC Fan Control. Only issue is when you set it for auto mode you set your max temps in celcius. Thankfully dashboard has a unit converter.
http://www.alitacrew.org/icyclone/

iCyclone always crashes on me and it never starts up in Auto mode, but it's a good idea. Every time I restart it starts up in Manual mode which only lets you control the fans. I want Auto mode to be the default setting b/c then you can control the temp. When you boot up the computer does iCyclone startup in Auto mode?

Regardless, smcFanControl is a good program. I keep it at 3000 RPM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
I'm using smcFanControl at 3000 RPM as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.