Mac or not to Mac!

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to buy an iMac for a long time but I’m having a few second thoughts! I’ve been reading a lot of the threads posted here and reading up on the whole ‘Mac versus Windows’ debate and am now more confused than ever! I would appreciate if you all wouldn’t mind giving me some kind of idea of what machine would be better for what I want to use it for.

In my current job I use a Windows machine, using AutoCAD a lot and I am more than likely going to get into Inventor in the very near future. I’ve heard Macs don’t run well with cad and while I don’t use either of those at home I will have to in the future. I know there is software out there similar to cad for Macs but there would be no point using that unless the files could also be opened in AutoCAD on a Windows machine. If there is a program out there that will allow me to do that then please let me know.

I’m also looking into 3D animation and I’ve heard Macs are great for graphics. But are they any better than a Windows based machine?

Lastly I’m not going to pretend to know a lot about computers but I do know I’ve never had trouble with my XP machine. Are Macs really as good as everyone makes out or would be I wasting my time learning a completely new OS when a Windows machine will work just fine for what I want? Anyway let me know what you would do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
For people like yourself, I hate to say it, but a Windows machine is probably the best. It is possible to get AutoCAD up and running on a Mac, but for all the work, you midas well save the effort and stick with Windows. I don't know too much about 3D applications for Mac, but I do know AutoCAD. Most Macs, with the exception of the MacPro, wouldn't be very good for CAD or 3D applications. The video, processing and memory needs to do a good job of live drawing and rendering are too high for most systems. You would have to get the higher end systems with more memory and video memory. Plus AutoCAD and Inventor are Windows only apps.

I think in this case, the work and money aren't worth it.

Reaction score
Lastly I’m not going to pretend to know a lot about computers but I do know I’ve never had trouble with my XP machine. Are Macs really as good as everyone makes out or would be I wasting my time learning a completely new OS when a Windows machine will work just fine for what I want?

If you're running sweet with your PC and it's doing everything you need it to, then there's no real reason to rock that boat by getting yourself a Mac.

On the other hand, if you are happy with your PC but are inquisitive about Macs then you should be aware that you can run Windows XP on the latest intel macs via Boot Camp or Parallels which allows you to have the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 120 gigs, black.
If you're running sweet with your PC and it's doing everything you need it to, then there's no real reason to rock that boat by getting yourself a Mac.

I'm new, looking to get a new laptop, not just because it's a Mac, because PC or Mac, I need a new laptop.

I was under the impression that Mac has a strong operating system and better graphics/video capability. Also, the fact that Mac has fewer virus problems is attractive to me.

While Lisaj and I aren't in simular situations, I don't need to run anything real specific, and I have some training on computers, I'm willing to learn and deal with the frustration of a new system (that's why I signed up for this site).

Anyway, why rock the boat? Not to pick a fight, but that's like racing go-karts and when it comes time to racing full sized cars and saying, well it's not the same, you're doing well with the go-kart, don't bother climbing the ladder.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this, anyway, sorry about the rant. Maybe people can correct my thoughts on the operating system and video capabilty?

I have a real cr@p aftermarket capture card on my PC and I'm not impressed with the quatlity and the rate the card captures. Plus the Mac seems to come with a good editor out of the box?

Again, if I'm wrong correct me, because I'm sure like me, Lisaj wants to take a step up and you guys are saying "let it be"....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
If you do everything BUT game, get a Mac. 'Nuff said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, 120 gigs, black.
If you do everything BUT game, get a Mac. 'Nuff said.

yeah, I barely run any games on my PC, 'cept Street Rod 2 from back in 1990.

I got a Playstation for games....

THanks for gettin' back so quick, I already new there wasn't much in the way of games for the Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You can[/] game on a Mac, and yes you are right about not being much, compared to PC's/consoles, but leave that job to the PC's/consoles.. Macs are crazy powerful and beautiful machines, so use them for all your "real work".. That's what I do at least.

Reaction score
Anyway, why rock the boat? Not to pick a fight, but that's like racing go-karts and when it comes time to racing full sized cars and saying, well it's not the same, you're doing well with the go-kart, don't bother climbing the ladder.

Maybe I'm wrong about all this, anyway, sorry about the rant. Maybe people can correct my thoughts on the operating system and video capabilty?

I have a real cr@p aftermarket capture card on my PC and I'm not impressed with the quatlity and the rate the card captures. Plus the Mac seems to come with a good editor out of the box?

Again, if I'm wrong correct me, because I'm sure like me, Lisaj wants to take a step up and you guys are saying "let it be"....

My post was directed specifically at giving my 2cents worth to lisaj's thread. Whether or not someone should embrace the world of Mac OS is individual specific. I run both PC and Mac side by side and love both.

I don't condone that every Windows user ditch their PC and rush out and buy a Mac just 'cos everyone and their dog is doing it, or so it seems going on market shares.

In your case I would say you're ready, keen for it and you're doing your research. You're halfway there.

Reaction score
Not sure if I will answer either of your questions, but in my case I have learned to embrace BOTH xp and mac machines.

Like the person who started this thread, I have no problems with my xp office setup. Aside from the mass of patches, the thing is actually pretty stable even when running multiple databases, macros and what not. If you mind your startups and clean up every once in a while, you'll be fine. Also, like the others have said, "forcing" a migration os several Windows-specific applications is asking for trouble.

That said, I love my Mac, and haven't touched the PC machines at home in a while. Definitely much more fun. And since all I had to migrate were my media files, the "gamble" of switching was not as intense.

Reaction score
It seems the answer for the OP is pretty straightforward: the software you use won't easily run on a Mac, or run as well on a Mac.

I have had my new MBP C2D for about 48 hours. So far, I would say that I am mostly satisfied.

* Having used Windows since the 3.11 days, I have never had a virus. I use email and web browse every day ... I just don't run executables that I (a) don't need and/or (b) cannot identify as safe. Between that and Norton AV there has just never been a problem. So while "no viruses!" is a big pro-Mac argument, I really have to wonder how people get themselves infected so often. Still, I suppose not having to worry about it is nice.

* I always found the Win2000 and WinXP plug-and-play to work pretty well for my notebooks. I'm sure it's much more tricky with a desktop or server, but with a notebook all the major hardware is already installed. The few things I've needed to add, like printers, cameras, etc. were usually hassle free. Getting my Blackberry to work with OS X was harder than getting it to work with XP.

* Since I need to work in Office, now I need to spend more $$$ to get the Mac version. Yes, I could just run it in Parallels or Boot Camp (I'm using both) but it seems ridiculous to get a Mac just to emulate WindowsXP in a virtual machine or as a dual-boot option.

* I spent money to get Parallels and WinXP; and then spent hours playing cat and mouse with the people at Microsoft getting "permission" to activate WinXP twice on the same machine. It sees the virtual machine in Parallels as a different computer, so if you install WinXP in Parallels and then try to install it again with Boot Camp, it won't activate/register. Once I explained that I was dual-booting, MS gave me the magic code to get my second "copy" of WinXP working.

Other than that, it just takes a little getting used to. The Mac OS X is already becoming second nature. The computer itself is fantastic ... if I had to dump Tiger tomorrow, I'd keep the machine and run it as a Wintel box. Incredibly slim and light for the power & performance. I wouldn't have realized how useful a lighted keyboard is. And running XP through Boot Camp, even games work great ... I played a little Neverwinter Nights 2 last night and had great framerates with most of the graphics options turned on and turned up.

I couldn't really say why I bought the Mac. MacConnection.com had it at a great price ($150 rebate) that actually made the hardware competitive against Gateway, Dell, and Alienware machines tricked out to the same spec. I wish the video was X1800 instead of X1600, I wish the HD was 7200rpm (or 10k) rather than 5400, and dear God do I wish the trackpad had two buttons rather than one.

But for all that whining and moaning ... I love this thing. I couldn't explain why or justify it logically. It's just ... better.

/ramble

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Ditto everything ToddG said.

I'm starting grad school in January at which time I can buy Office (Mac and Win) and Windows software for next to nothing, but until then I am using Tiger only to learn it. I plan to make at least a small partition for XP, but as long as reading Win Office files in Mac Office, I don't plan on using XP very much other than Win only programs.

If you're on the fence and curious about Mac, I'd say go for it. As ToddG illuded to, if nothing else, it's a beautiful machine that, while having a couple drawbacks, is very enjoyable to use. Tests show XP with Bootcamp does run apps slower than a native Windows machine, but the differences are minor.

I plan to use it at least until I'm out of school and hopefully by then have a company-issued lappy and go back to a desktop (?Mac or Win?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I have loved the switch and, frankly, when it comes to Windows vs OS X the only people who favour windows are those who have never used OS X, in terms of an environment to work in. Sure there are some apps you cannot get and if you're really into gaming, you have to get Windows. But for everything else, the Mac really makes life easier.

Whether it's something as simple as being able to drag a picture from a website straight onto your desktop, or the fact that all the apps on the Mac talk to each other without endless configuration or something as simple as expose, it's just nicer. OK, I sound like an Apple fanboy and maybe I am just justifying the switch to myself, but I've used Microsoft's operating systems since 1992 (before that it was an Atari ST) and I have no real complaints about Microsoft. Their stuff works (usually) and it does the job (mostly)... but it's just not as lovely.

As the the 1st reply on this thread, I am not sure why that is relevant. To do heavy 3D rendering on a Windows machine also means getting a high spec system, so you'll spend the money anyway. There are many rendering apps on the Mac (Maya springs to mind, for example).

Investigate the apps you need and make sure you can run them on the Mac... if not, consider BootCamp. Windows may be the way to go, but find out first.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I've learnt a few things I didn't know before so that's great! I appreciate all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
when it comes to Windows vs OS X the only people who favour windows are those who have never used OS X

Actually, I have seen several testimonials from long time Mac users on this site who also use Windows and use it just as much.

A high-end Windows system can be much less expensive if you build it yourself. You have to know what you're doing, but some simple web-surfing can get you on the right track in no time at all. There are also many other benefits to building your own PC, such as upgrading/adding hardware as needed and longer/individual hardware warranties, if you end up going the Pc route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.