Sharing a Printer from my iMac to an XP PC

S

samoan_ridah

Hello all,

Please go easy on me as this is my first thread on this forum. I have STF but haven't really found anything that fits my particular question, so here goes...

I have a new iMac and a Windows XP PC connected to the same network. I was able to copy my files over from my PC to the Mac but haven't attempted print sharing. I have my HP printer connected to my iMac and it is working fine directly from the Mac. My question is can I share it out on the network and print to it from my PC? Are Macs "friendly" with their peripherals?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian (Newest Apple Convert)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
yes you can share it through it the imac. you will need the windows install disk for your printer. On your xp go to start then go to my network places then on the side click view workgroup computers or something like that. then click on the computer that is your mac (as long as its on the same network it should show up) and then a box should pop up and you should put your log in info for your mac for example Matts Mac and the password from it. then go to printers and faxes and your hp printer should show up. im not sure after that but i think you can click on it and then go to connect or somthing and it will ask you for the instal disk or something. i hope this helps you sorry if it doesnt.

OP
S

samoan_ridah

Thank you for taking the time to help me out but that didn't work. The problem is, the Mac didn't give me an option to join any "workgroup" so the PC doesn't know where to find it. I opened up "Entire Network" but I only see my workgroup "HOME" and my PC, "Desktop", nothing else.

Is there somewhere in the Mac that I can assign it a name and a workgroup like on a PC? Have I fallen off of the boat?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is your network wireless?

OP
S

samoan_ridah

Both. I am running it wired through a router but it is also wireless as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ohh. umm there is this thing called logmein that lets someone control your xp machine or you could do a remote assistace thing and i could try and help you pm me if you wanna try it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good luck hope it works out for you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.