• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Converting .mov to .wmv

Reaction score
Hi all

Does anyone know of a free program i can download that will convert a .mov file to a .wmv file please? Does such a thing exist? Or even if it is possible to do on my MBP without downloading any software?

Thanks for help in advance

Reaction score
Why not keep it as a .mov file and let QuickTime on Windows handle the file.

OP
M
Reaction score
It won't play the images on Windows, it only plays the audio because it says it doesn't have the right codec. I don't know what codec it needs so i thought it would be easier to convert it to a .wmv file instead...

Reaction score
Try this on the PC:

Run Quicktime, then up in the top left corner, click on:

Edit > preferences > quicktime preferences > Audio

Then check the box for Safe Mode (wavOut only)

Then click apply and quit QuickTime, especially remember to quit QT from the System Tray.

Relaunch QT and test the movie file.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks but that hasn't had any affect - it is still not playing the movie images but only the audio. Is it possible to convert it to wmv?

OP
M
Reaction score
problem solved - after much trial and error i found the right codec. Thanks anyway pulse8

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
problem solved - after much trial and error i found the right codec. Thanks anyway pulse8

I know this thread it old, but....
I am having the same issue, what was the codec, if you remember what it was.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz / 4 GB RAM / 320 GB HDD
Also if I can jump on this thread.

I have Connect360 so I can play all my media on my 360, the only problem is that it only accepts videos in wmv format. I tried exporting an avi file in Quicktime (through Flip4Mac) to wmv but it will only convert the first 15 seconds or so. I have tried multiple files with the same results. Does anyone know of any program that can do this, possible for free? I tried ffmpegx, but there's no option to convert to wmv. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.