Thinking very hard about switching to mb/mbp

Reaction score
Hye guys, first post, woot! Anyway, i went into the apple store and just fell in love with their systems. Im not new to apple computers, ive been using them for a few years..but i dont have one of my own :blind:

Anyway, i am looking at a macbook or macbook pro because i would need to take it back and forth to school. I like the macbook, but the screen is just too small for me..so i looked at the 15inch 2.16 core 2 duo macbook pro. I am always running itunes,photoshop,safari, stuff like that so i think the mbp would be better. What do you think?

Thanks!

D

docss26

I use my macbook for school too. I pretty much use it for web browsing, iTunes, and word processing. I just upgraded it to 1.25 GB of ram and it runs phenominaly. I will be installing WarCraft 3 to play on some free time while at school or wherever. I really like small screens for laptops but its just a personal preference. For what you want to use it for I would just get a macbook and upgrade to 2GB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
If you use Photoshop, you definately need the MBP.

.. and hurry up and buy one :)

Be warned - Until the new version of PS comes out, it's going to run dog-*** slow. :(

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah im thinking mpb too.

3 questions...

1. What is this whole smackbook thing? ive seen alot about it...

2. Gloss or matte screen?

3. Do you think they will sell out at the apple store before christmas?

Sorry about the over load of questions! i cant wait to get my gaming computer out of here and get a nice laptop :tusks:

Reaction score
Actually, Macworld just did a test which concluded that even under Rosetta, Photoshop runs FASTER than on previous generation Powerbooks. Wow. Just imagine what it will be like when they are universal.

I'll try and find a link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Yeah im thinking mpb too.

3 questions...

1. What is this whole smackbook thing? ive seen alot about it...

Sorry about the over load of questions! i cant wait to get my gaming computer out of here and get a nice laptop :tusks:

MB's and MBP's have motion sensors in them, and smackbook's a program that makes noises or something? when the MacBook is moved. Search for it on YouTube and you'll see.

Gloss screen if you want a beautiful picture, matte screen if yer old and hate change.

No idea. I like ordering online anyway :mail:

.. and I hadn't heard that about PS running faster in Rosetta than on a G5 :ninja:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

I'm a fan of the gloss screen. I didn't know at first, bit like spiccy said, the picture really is beautiful.

I'm pretty sure the Apple Stores will have enough stock to keep people happy. They are surely seeing more business, but Apple has to figured in for that. If you did go in and they were sold out of whatever you want, the sales people are always more than happy to sit down with you and draw up an order at the Apple Online store.

D

docss26

a buddy of mine is an amateur photographer and does his photo editing on his mbp. He did a lot of reading and said the matte screen is better for photo editing. Try looking it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.1 GHZ
I have to MBP for all my classes and such; its a good laptop, but sometimes I wish I had the MB because of the longer-battery life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
.. and I hadn't heard that about PS running faster in Rosetta than on a G5 :ninja:

It doesn't, he said better than Previous Powerbooks, which of course are G4s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Gloss screen if you want a beautiful picture, matte screen if yer old and hate change.

That's kind of a narrow view. I've did a lot of searching on glossy vs. matte and this is what I heard from several people who do professional photo editing. The bottom line is matte is better for photo editing because it gives more accurate colors. Most people think glossy gives a better picture. Glossy looks better, but colors are oversaturated and, therefore, distorted. Also, matte is better for various lighting conditions as it doesn't reflect any background light and make the screen hard to see/read and cause fatigue over long periods of us.

Bottom, bottom line: if you play games, movies and only use your lappy in certain lighting conditions where reflection isn't a problem, go glossy.
If you are actually mobile with your lappy and possibly use it outside time to time and you want accurate colors for photo editing, go with matte.

I finally decided on a matte screen and I'm glad I did as I go everywhere with my MBP would have alreayd been very frustrated with reflection by now. I really wanted glossy for movies, but I've watched movies on mine and even though I know the picture would be a little better with glossy, I'm perfectly happy with it as is.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think im going to go with matte because at school there are overhead lights that are very bright and cause a bad glare on my friends macbook.

Anyone else have anything else to say about the mbp? Goods/bads etc i would just like to here.

Thanks

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh yes, one more thing... WHats the difference between core duo and core 2 duo? Is core 2 duo the new one? Because alot of the mbp's on ebay are core duos.

Thanks

Oliver

Reaction score
The Core 2 Duo is the newer chip. From what I've seen, the processor itself is significantly faster (claims run from 25% to 35%+) but actual real world speed improvement is more in the 10% range.

I doubt it will make a huge difference in your life today. It might impact how many years/months/weeks you can go before a piece of software comes out that requires you to have a faster computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White - 2.0GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HD

aint no such thing as a G5 powerbook

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.