Installing downloads - no really... please dont laugh... too hard

B

Bluewolf

I recently downloaded a few programs from the Internet namely MSN (from the peanut gallery Boo Hiss!!), and ICQ, or something similar to it thereof. The stuffed files when downloaded automatically unstuffs themselves and opened into these white things.

On double clicking on the white thing I follow the procedures for installing the thing in the white thing. However once I am finished I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one. I believe this is because the program I downloaded is operating from the white thing.

Another program that I have and havent installed is VLC - the non Microsoft ,wmv player. That I believe is also operating from the white thing.

How do I install something so it is in my system and in my dock?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you reboot there system the white things are you call it will disappear. Once you install the application or programs, just drag the white thing to the trash to un-mount them. If you look in the Application folder (in most cases) on your OS X, you should find the application or program you just installed.

What I don't understand is "I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one"?

As for placing an application on the dock. Once you have found it in the Applicaqtion folder. just drag and drop it where you want it on the dock. A copy (pointer) of application or program will be displayed on the dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Well, it is an application, Like VLC; all you have to do is drag the application icon or folder to your applications folder. This Folder can be found under your computer disk. Just double click your system disk and then click on the applications folder shortcut to the botom left. Hmm.. then you'll be able to close the virtual disk. You can do that by right clicking or apple click (i think) and choose eject. from then on, you'll be able to delete your file. I'm sure someone else will clarify, or correct my errors. Hope that helps.

EY

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum PowerBook G4. 15.2" SUPAH-drive
Dang it, Rman beat me to it. Soo close.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
C

Chamorro

rman said:
What I don't understand is "I cannot bin the stuffed file or the unstuffed one"?

Seeing as he's from the UK, I'm going to assume he means he can't throw them away (delete 'em.)

OP
B

Bluewolf

I think I now know what to do... I think...

To install a program from the internet I take the files out from the mounted white thing and place them into a sperate folder on my HD.

This has worked with MSN. I deleted the old file within the MS Office sub-folder and replaced it with the new file I got from the white thing. I then placed a copy of the icon into my dock. This has resulted in MSN messenger working correctly.

With VLC I have taken all the files from the white thing and placed them into a folder within my applications. VLC should now work when I download and attempt to play .wmv files?

And as for the ICQescque programs they are simply too confusing for me. I have no idea how to operate Icy Juice so I think I will have to revert to the ICQ, from ICQ.com

Cheers for the help and advice in regards to what may be seen as a simple matter.

P.S. The bin is the waste paper basket, otherwise known as a trash can. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks gang for help me to understand. I thought he was trying to execute something. :)

OP
S

StarManta

Bluewolf said:
With VLC I have taken all the files from the white thing and placed them into a folder within my applications. VLC should now work when I download and attempt to play .wmv files?

You'll have to change file associations to get that to work... it's easy. Right-click/control-click on the WMV file, Open With -> Other...
Then go find VLC, make sure "Always Open With" is checked, and hit choose. :)

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
You'll have to change file associations to get that to work... it's easy. Right-click/control-click on the WMV file, Open With -> Other...
Then go find VLC, make sure "Always Open With" is checked, and hit choose. :)

I'm guessing you do the above on a .wmv file. :) If so I will do when I need to next play a .wmv file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.