Wireless and router questions

D

DV'sG4

Every now and then (often enough to annoy me) my Airport decides to have a self-assigned IP address, and I have to restart my computer for my internet to work again..why does it do that?

Another problem..whenever I am on my laptop and someone decides to use the phone (cordless) my wireless connection drops, and only becomes active again when the phone is hung up. ARGH!

AND lol, I did not put a password on my network, and I would really like to do so!

Thanks, DV :spook: :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
1) Set your wireless network to DCHP auto all the way. Your airport card should not self assign an IP address at all.

2) Change the channel of your wireless network so that it is not the same as your cordless phone. If you're on Channel 1 now, move to channel 9 or something.

3) Use encryption. There is no excuse not to and you're asking for trouble if you don't.

OP
D

DV'sG4

Okay, when configuring your IPv4..the only option it gives you is to use DCHP, not DCHP auto..unless that is the "auto" option. If not, where would I go to do that..

Wireless routers are so new to me, I have no idea how to change it's channel etc..any help would be greatly appreciated! :dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Okay, when configuring your IPv4..the only option it gives you is to use DCHP, not DCHP auto..unless that is the "auto" option. If not, where would I go to do that..

Wireless routers are so new to me, I have no idea how to change it's channel etc..any help would be greatly appreciated! :dive:

What kind of router do you have? The option to change a channel should be in the wireless settings. To connect to your router you need to type int he IP address directly into your browser address bar (the IP address should be in your manual).

DCHP should be auto without further explaination.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.