3D Flash Animation

Reaction score
Basically I just want to do small things, such as make a 3D logo of a project I'm working on at the moment, and make the logo spin etc.

Can anyone recommend any software applications to do this?

Cheers
Liam

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Making anything that is 3D spin is no simple task. At least not the way I understand that you want it to. Also, the applications needed for this are expensive.

That being said, I would suggest something like AfterEffects or Maya (for true 3D) to make a logo animation.

EDIT: BTW, Flash doesn't do 3D animation :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
something like carrara by eovia is cheap and easy to do something like that (cheap os $400-$600)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I've seen some 3D stuff in flash, but only simple polygon models. I've no idea how it's done though - if you can somehow create it in flash, or have to export from another app to flash.

Blender is a free 3D app which may be what you're after. It supports animation and I've seen some pretty impressive work come out of Blender. Only problem is that you'll have to learn it from scratch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've seen some 3D stuff in flash, but only simple polygon models. I've no idea how it's done though -
You only think you saw real 3D. :black:
There is no Z axis to animate in Flash, so there is no real 3D.
Things that appear to be 3D in Flash are actually nothing more than 2D images. They are all drawn and then animated frame-by-frame-by-frame-by-frame, etc... add in some tweens, scale shifts, shape morphings, and some tricky (and time-consuming) ActionScripting techniques and the end result appears as if it is 3D.
This is why the things you have seen are very simple polygonal models. To make anything more complex...well, the time it would take to not only draw, but animate as well would take immense patience and dedication, not to mention a ton of time. :black:

This is why there are actual 3D modeling applications out there. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
that actually sounds as if it would require far more precision than any 3D would need (and I've done a fair bit) If I were to do it like that, I'd just go with quicktime renders or a png sequence.

The first example I saw of '3D' flash was this some years ago, found here

If that's how it's done, it's an absurd waste of time, as keyframing in 3D apps takes enough time - but to recreate each frame as a 2D image is just pointless.

I'm sure that's how some '3D' would be done in flash, but this seems different. I've no doubt it is (or was originally) 3D - I'm just not sure how it was placed in flash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The first example I saw of '3D' flash was this some years ago, found here
Yup, that is all some fancy-schmancy ActionScripting and some very smart bends and tweens. Also take notice that the "3D" part is almost a sort of vector-like thing... no solids or shading to worry about... it is all outlines. It makes the whole simulating 3D a little easier and more believable. If he were to have kept the full-color from the beginning of the cartoon, then he would have had some frame-by-frame drawing to do... very time-consuming indeed. :black:

Whatever the case, Flash can neither create 3D nor accept any sort of 3D created raw file. Even if you were to model something in say, 3dsMax... it would never import to the library in Flash unless you imported it as a video file... in which case, it really wouldn't be Flash. You also couldn't do anything with it to modify it other than a simple slice footage edit. At the time that example was made, video use in Flash was exteremly limited due to its very poor quality... far below the quality of that example if it were video (which it isn't).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.