Mini as a sever and god knows what else

Q

Quruli

OK

I have a MBP and the HDD is nearly full, so I need an external HDD soon, my DVD player also just broke and it needs replacing too. I have just order 2x1GB stick for MBP so I will have 2x512MB of RAM sitting out.

So I am thinking of getting a mini to meet these needs, but I pretty much want to leave it on 24/7 downloading and as storage for my MBP. Is the Mac Mini suitable for my needs? or is it too good to be true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
Yup, it should do what you want it to do just fine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Why get a Mini for this? It sounds like all you need is a nice big external hard drive! You can pick up a good new firewire hard drive in the 250G to 500G size range for anywhere from $200-$350, and less if you manage to take advantage of all the great pre Christmas sales going on these days. The Mini, on the other hand, will run you $599 at minimum.

Wouldn't you be better served (pun intended!) to just forget about those memory sticks and get an external hard drive? You'll save money.

BTW, the mini ships with 5400 RPM drives, whereas most external hard drives usually ship with 7200 RPM drives. Hence, the external drive will be FASTER as well as less expensive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.