What has happened to Firefox & Safari

G

G4PB

I have recently installed Font Doc and a whole load of new fonts on my G4 Powerbook.

The first time i opened Firefox after the new insatalls it was using a new font and all the text that came up on a google search and parts of most webpages were in a crazy font. I shut down and restarted the machine and this time Firefox was still not right. The font was not back to normal but instead used a different font. I now cant use firefox as i cant read anything on most webpages. Google seems to work fine on Safari as do all other pages. So I uninstalled firefox with App delete and reinstalled it. No change. How can i get Firefox working again. What have i done? Please help me. I need my Mac for business and its really becoming a problem. Thanks in advance.
:(

Reaction score
Could be one or more fonts you installed are corrupt. Try uninstalling them, then putting them back one or two at a time and trying Firefox again til you find the bad one.

Also try deleting the Firefox prefs.

OP
G

G4PB

Hi cradom,

The new fonts were installed as a large file. They were all dragged into the font folder in my library, some 400 fonts in total. To do each one would take days !! Plus i dont know which are new and which are original?

How do i delete the firefox prefs (also what doses this do)??

Thanks for the response.

OP
G

G4PB

It gets worse. I have just opend Excel and looked at an attachment that i just received in an email and it doing the same in Excel. The same font as in Firefox. This is starting to worry me a bit now. What have i done?

Reaction score
Definitely sounds like a font problem. Do you really need that many fonts?
Did you install them in /Library or ~/Library? (~ is your home folder)
I suggest you remove them and install ONLY the ones you NEED, and put them in your user library/fonts folder.

OP
G

G4PB

Right, i have now deleted all the fonts in my User Library and then copied all the fonts from the main library to my user library. I thought that had solved the problem. Firefox and excel are working fine now. But now Safari and Mail are playing up and using a random font in HTML emails i received this morning (weekly email newsletter). They are normally in a very simple font and always have been except for today. This is really strange.

Can you please suggest how I can restore my original fonts back to factory settings.

Your right i don't need all those fonts !!! I was designing a website and needed to use a few interesting fonts, thats why i downloaded the folder with the 400 or so free fonts. Its now all gone and i just want my original system fonts back. Please help. Thanks for your time so far. Really appreciated.

Reaction score
If you haven't messed with the fonts in /Library/Fonts you should be ok. You don't need them in ~/Library/Fonts. If you copied the system fonts to your user library, you now have duplicates, which could be screwing things up now.

Trash all fonts in your user lib and install your new ones there.
If you have deleted fonts from the system lib, only way I know to get them back is:
Possibly using Pacifist to reinstall from the OS install cd/dvd..
or
Reinstalling the system.

Note: There are actually 3 places to find fonts...
/System/Library/Fonts these are the Apple system fonts - don't mess with these, don't install here!
/Library/Fonts user installable fonts available to all user accounts
/Users/(your name)/Library/Fonts where you should install fonts just for your use

You can use Font Book to check for duplicate fonts, just don't disable the system fonts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.