MSN problems

B

Bluewolf

As no doubt many of you will known there is no one messaging service that people use. I often end up using more than just one messaging program. However no-one whom I know has AIM. So getting an AIM account for myself would be pretty useless. MSN and ICQ are the two messaging progams that most of the people I know use.

The ICQ installation is fine, be it there is a problem when I try to connect through a proxy server. However MSN is another story. It was a part of the MS Office bundle that I recently got, and since it was already installed I thought it would be very easy to install. After all I had an account and passport with MSN already.

When going to connect to MSN this message shortly appears on connection: the sign on to MSN Messenger failed because the service is not available to you or you may not be connected to the Internet.

Obviously my problem does not fall in the latter, as I am well and truly connected to the Internet. Therefore I am faced with the former. However I have no idea what the former means.

Any help and comments would be greatly apreciated.

OP
S

StarManta

My advice would be to send threatening letters to your friends who are using MSN alone. :p
Apart from that, you may want to go look for a newer version of MSN Messenger. I'd link you, but I don't want to dirty up my computer by going to Microsoft's site.

OP
C

Chamorro

I had the same issues w/ the Messenger that came w/ Office...I think it was just too old a version, somehow. I fixed it by downloading the latest version from Microsoft.

OP
B

Bluewolf

StarManta said:
My advice would be to send threatening letters to your friends who are using MSN alone. :p
Apart from that, you may want to go look for a newer version of MSN Messenger. I'd link you, but I don't want to dirty up my computer by going to Microsoft's site.

The threatening letters go without saying really, but those letters were just too late. I was the onle one to break away from the pack. Must be that rebellious streak within me, or that the shinyness of the PB was simply too alluring :p

Some Microsoft employees do own and use Macs and on casual Friday you might just see a 'I dont do windows' t-shirt.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/158677_msftmac30.html

As for updating my version of MSN I think that is an excellent idea.
*Sigh* There goes my Mac social position now... :D

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5b-6dd5-40e5-88df-72067e183465&displaylang=en
This link should take you directly to the download page for the latest MSN Messenger for Mac OS X

Many thanks StarManta and Chamorro.

OP
S

supenguin

[I've been using a chat program called Fire. Its similar to Trillian on Windows. One chat program that does ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo Messenger. There's also one called Proteus, but its shareware. Fire is free and I think open source.

OP
B

Bluewolf

supenguin said:
[I've been using a chat program called Fire. Its similar to Trillian on Windows. One chat program that does ICQ, AIM, MSN, Yahoo Messenger. There's also one called Proteus, but its shareware. Fire is free and I think open source.

If I knew how to use another program apart from MSN and ICQ I would. :) However as my Mac skills are not the greatest I have no idea how to or where to install these programs. ICQ self installed as did MSN. With that said I did need to drag the icon from the unstuffed white drive thing into a folder on my HD. :p

OP
B

Bluewolf

... connecting through proxy server

I have found to my dismay that I cannot connect MSN messenger through my University's proxy server. This may be becase that in MSN's prefernce/connections there is no option to enter a user name and password when you select 'HTTP Proxy'.

I find this strange as the PC version of MSN had this option. It was possible to enter into a HTTP proxy a user name and password. However this feature has dissapeared with the Mac version.

Is there a more uptodate version of MSN? I am currently using v3.5.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

OP
S

supenguin

Bluewolf said:
If I knew how to use another program apart from MSN and ICQ I would.

Fire is no harder to install than MSN or ICQ. Just download, and drag the icon to your Applications folder, or wherever you want it. It will ask what accounts you want to set up when you start it up for the first time, I think. I can't remember if its got an option to use a proxy or not. I don't have my Mac with me :-(

Oh yeah, you can download it from http://fire.sourceforge.net/

OP
M

Mac Apple

Blue wolf. Im on a uni network and no messenger works on a mac! I can get msn to work my going into preferances and ticking " i use a proxy server" then just put your IP in and the port. That should allow msn to connect. The tricky bit is getting it to stay connected. mine logs out every 5 to 10 mins. msn works fine when not on network. try this and at least you will be connected long enough to say hi>

hope my reply helps.

l8r :)

OP
T

tjhs_87

MSN Messenger frequent disruption

I usually get a frequent disconnection, usually after less than 5 minutes after singing in. the error message displays "the system is unavailable and you've been signed out of messenger"

Apart from that, after i set my desktop to rotate pictures every 5 secs, my system will hang after a while. :eek:neye:

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
try adium, seriously

it's easy to install, and supports quite a number of chat clients

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Adium works! It's easy and supports multiple protocols. You can customize to your heart's content. Works on UK uni networks too (I know because I'm on it)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16GHzIC2D/1GB/120 OSX 10.5 , A bunch of other macs, iPod Mini Orig. 4G iPod Video 30Gb
a had similar problem

adium works good, there are alot of others out there but you may as well stick with msn

www.mactopia.com

you will find an msn link there
enjoy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.