Macbook shutting down

M

michaelsaxon

Today my black Macbook started shutting down when the power adapter comes out. It dims for about a second and then just goes black. The battery is fully charged and the LEDs on the back show it to be so. Now, when it turns off the LEDs go completely dark and only come back on when it is plugged in again. I've tried some sort of power down, remove the battery and AC, hold the power button for 10 seconds, and power back up reset and I've also made sure the memory was properly seated.

1. Anyone know what might be the problem and whether or not I can fix this myself?

2. I traded this computer for my Dell XPS and the person is supposed to send me the receipt and remote in the mail, which he forgot to send. Will I be able to get it serviced without the receipt? I went online and plugged in the SN and it showed up as having 266 days left on AppleCare, so I assume it has already been registered.

Thanks for your help. I'm really disappointed that I'm already having problems with this. I hope Apple treats me well.

UPDATE: Now the magsafe light won't turn on at all when it is plugged in and starting up the computer while it is plugged in makes the fan blow very fast and loudly the entire time the machine is on with no letup.

UPDATE 2: Opening the battery case and closing it again seems to have fixed the magsafe light / fan problem, but not the original one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Apple will be able to check warranty status if you take it in. You say the person 'forgot' to send the receipt - can't he/she just 'remember' again?

OP
M

michaelsaxon

Well, he already was supposed to when he got back to school, but I'm trying to get in touch with him now to get it expedited. One would think he could just log on to Apple.com and screencap it and email it to me or something.

I'd like to get it in today to get repaired.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Today my black Macbook started shutting down when the power adapter comes out. It dims for about a second and then just goes black. The battery is fully charged and the LEDs on the back show it to be so. Now, when it turns off the LEDs go completely dark and only come back on when it is plugged in again. I've tried some sort of power down, remove the battery and AC, hold the power button for 10 seconds, and power back up reset and I've also made sure the memory was properly seated.

1. Anyone know what might be the problem and whether or not I can fix this myself?

2. I traded this computer for my Dell XPS and the person is supposed to send me the receipt and remote in the mail, which he forgot to send. Will I be able to get it serviced without the receipt? I went online and plugged in the SN and it showed up as having 266 days left on AppleCare, so I assume it has already been registered.

Thanks for your help. I'm really disappointed that I'm already having problems with this. I hope Apple treats me well.

UPDATE: Now the magsafe light won't turn on at all when it is plugged in and starting up the computer while it is plugged in makes the fan blow very fast and loudly the entire time the machine is on with no letup.

UPDATE 2: Opening the battery case and closing it again seems to have fixed the magsafe light / fan problem, but not the original one.

Apple fixed this with the latest SMC firmware update (1.1). My wifes Macbook was having the same problem. After installing the update she has not had any problems. This link should help.

OP
M

michaelsaxon

Well, I took it to the geniuses tonight and they fixed it. It was as simple as a bad battery (strangely, it had normal voltage but showed negative amperage).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2GHz Intel i7 W/16GB Ram & 256GB SSD
Well, I took it to the geniuses tonight and they fixed it. It was as simple as a bad battery (strangely, it had normal voltage but showed negative amperage).

Strange. Glad its fixed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.