Uninstalling applications

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.66Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HD intel dual core
I am accustomed to uninstalling programs. Are the mac applications uninstalled by simply dragging them out of the application file into the trashcan or is there an uninstall procedure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz 4Gig Ram 250Gig HD
I am new to mac's but as I understand it the uninstall is just that easy; however I've been told that sometimes there are bits of the app that aren't uninstalled but hang in unknown locations. So I'm trying to find all the nooks where these little pieces remain. There is also apps that you can download that say they are designed to totally delete apps that you want gone. I cannot remember the names of the app be gone programs but surely someone does and can reccomend one.

M

MacHeadCase

I used to uninstall them by hand (i.e. dragging the app to the trash) in the pre-OS X days, it was a pretty simple procedure. I did this too in my early OS X days but found some orphaned files here and there.

Being a neatness freak (and not liking the thought of having files that just sit there for nothing in the prefs folder and Application Support folder, I tried AppZapper and have used nothing but, since then. Very decently priced for the work it does. :girl:

Some programs DO need their own uninstaller though.

If you have the time and patience, you also can do a Spotlight search for all the pieces but sometimes the files use the program's name, sometimes in certain spots they will take on the software company name not to mention that by manually deleting files, you can erase a file you actually need for other programs...

OP
menno
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini 1.66Ghz 1GB RAM 60GB HD intel dual core
AppZapper looks like just what I was looking for! And it looks like a bargain to me!

Thanks folks, promise when I'm not a newbie at this I'll be the helper.

M

MacHeadCase

Great! I think you'll like it! One thing that's nice about it is that you have free upgrades for life once you've bought your license.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Would any of you guys happen to know of a free option for uninstalling programs? I'm not complaining about cost, it's just that I don't see myself using a program like this often enough to justify pulling out my wallet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.